1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing something is a metric

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    d is a metric show d'= d/d+1 is a metric

I know d(x,z)[tex]\leq[/tex]d(x,y)+d(y,z). And have been trying to make it fall out of this.

I have been fooling around with the terms but it has not provided to be useful. Any direction would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which parts of the definition of metric have you been able to demonstrate?

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    d'(x,x)=0
    d'(x,y)>0
    d'(x,y)=d'(y,x)

They follow immediately from d being a metric. But the triangle inequality is providing to be more difficult.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    I actually saw this problem a bit ago as well. If we let a = d(x,z), b = d(x,y) and c = d(y,z), then we know [itex]a\leq b + c[/itex] and it comes down to proving [itex]\frac{a}{1+a} \leq \frac{b}{1+b} + \frac{c}{1+c},[/itex] which is easy if you just multiply out, I think. Anyways there is probably a nicer way to do this, but I think the above works (I didn't really double check) and suits me.

*EDIT* By the way, I think awhile ago you were trying to prove all of axioms of a metric spaces using only 2 of them. At first I said you had to have a rearrangement of the triangle inequality, but later I realized you could do it using the triangle inequality by switching around a few variables. If you're still interested, I could show you.

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    I figured that one out... eventually. But thanks I'm impressed that you remember.
    Ya, that does work, I guess I missed the most obvious approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook