Exploring the Validity of d'= d/d+1 as a Metric

• Thread starter Daveyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses the metric d'=d/d+1 and the difficulty in proving the triangle inequality using this metric. The speaker suggests using the definition of a metric to prove d'(x,x)=0, d'(x,y)>0, and d'(x,y)=d'(y,x), but the triangle inequality remains a challenge. The other speaker suggests using the variables a, b, and c to simplify the proof, and also mentions a previous conversation about proving axioms of a metric using only two of them.
Daveyboy
d is a metric show d'= d/d+1 is a metric

I know d(x,z)[tex]\leq[/tex]d(x,y)+d(y,z). And have been trying to make it fall out of this.

I have been fooling around with the terms but it has not provided to be useful. Any direction would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which parts of the definition of metric have you been able to demonstrate?

d'(x,x)=0
d'(x,y)>0
d'(x,y)=d'(y,x)

They follow immediately from d being a metric. But the triangle inequality is providing to be more difficult.

I actually saw this problem a bit ago as well. If we let a = d(x,z), b = d(x,y) and c = d(y,z), then we know [itex]a\leq b + c[/itex] and it comes down to proving [itex]\frac{a}{1+a} \leq \frac{b}{1+b} + \frac{c}{1+c},[/itex] which is easy if you just multiply out, I think. Anyways there is probably a nicer way to do this, but I think the above works (I didn't really double check) and suits me.

*EDIT* By the way, I think awhile ago you were trying to prove all of axioms of a metric spaces using only 2 of them. At first I said you had to have a rearrangement of the triangle inequality, but later I realized you could do it using the triangle inequality by switching around a few variables. If you're still interested, I could show you.

I figured that one out... eventually. But thanks I'm impressed that you remember.
Ya, that does work, I guess I missed the most obvious approach.

What is a metric?

A metric is a quantitative measure used to evaluate and compare data. It is typically a numerical value that can be used to track progress, assess performance, or make decisions.

How do you determine if something is a metric?

To determine if something is a metric, it must have the following characteristics:

• It must be a quantitative measure
  • It must be objective and measurable
  • It must be reliable and consistent
  • It must have a clear and defined purpose
  • It must be able to be compared and evaluated over time or against a standard

What are some common examples of metrics?

Some common examples of metrics include:

• Revenue
  • Customer satisfaction ratings
  • Website traffic
  • Production output
  • Employee turnover rate

How do you show that something is a metric?

To show that something is a metric, you must provide evidence that it meets the criteria for a metric. This can include data or calculations that demonstrate its quantitative nature, documentation of its reliability and consistency, and a clear explanation of its purpose and how it is used for evaluation or decision making.

Why is it important to use metrics?

Using metrics is important because it allows for objective and measurable evaluation of data. This can help identify areas for improvement, track progress towards goals, and make informed decisions based on reliable data. Metrics also provide a standardized way to compare performance and make data-driven decisions.