1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a field is isomorphic to a field of vectors

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]K / F[/itex] be a field extension of degree [itex]n[/itex].

For any [itex]a \in K[/itex] prove that the map defined by [itex]\sigma_a(x) = ax[/itex] is a linear map over the vector space [itex]K / F[/itex]. This part I understand.

Show that [itex]K[/itex] is isomorphic to the subring [itex]F^{n x n}[/itex] of [itex]n x n[/itex] matrices with entries in [itex]F[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that linear map from a field extension to itself = an [itex]n x n[/itex] matrix. The trick is showing that the operations of addition and multiplication are compatible, and I can't seem to do that without a lot of tedious, convoluted calculations, especially since there's not a good closed form for the transformation matrix that would apply to all bases (as far as I know). Is there a better way?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted