Showing that a function is analytic

In summary, the conversation discusses a family of entire functions ##P_k(z)## that depend analytically on ##k## in a certain region ##\Delta##. It is assumed that ##P_k(z)## is nonzero on the unit circle ##S^1## for all values of ##k##. The question is how to prove that the sum ##\sum_{|z| < 1, P_k(z) = 0} z^t## is an analytic function of ##k## for each ##t \ge 0##, where the zeros of ##P_k(z)## are counted with multiplicity. The proposed solution involves using the residue theorem to express the sum as an integral, which shows its
OscarAlexCunning
Say we have ##P_k(z)## a family of entire functions, and they depend analytically on ##k## in ##\Delta##. Assume ##P_k(z)## is nonzero on ##S^1## for all ##k##. How do I see that for each ##t \ge 0##, we have that$$\sum_{|z| < 1, P_k(z) = 0} z^t$$is an analytic function of ##k##? Here, the zeros of ##P_k(z)## are regarded with multiplicity.

Now, I can show this myself, but I am wondering if you guys have any alternative solutions.

My way of doing this. Via the residue theorem, for each ##k## in ##\Delta## we have$$\sum_{|z| < 1, P_k(z) = 0} z^t = {1\over{2\pi i}} \int_{\partial \Delta} {{P_k'(z)z^t}\over{P_k(z)}}dz.$$This integral representation makes it evident that our function of interest is analytic in ##k## by, for instance, the theorem of Morera.

Likes Opressor
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your summation notation. Can you explain it?

Your way is the standard method for this type of problem. No other easy method comes to (my) mind.

1. What does it mean for a function to be analytic?

An analytic function is a function that can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of each point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

2. How do you show that a function is analytic?

To show that a function is analytic, you must prove that it has a convergent power series representation in a neighborhood of each point in its domain. This can be done by using the definition of analyticity and techniques such as Taylor series expansion and Cauchy's integral formula.

3. Can a non-analytic function have a convergent power series representation?

No, a non-analytic function cannot have a convergent power series representation. This is because a non-analytic function is not smooth and does not have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, which is a requirement for a function to have a power series representation.

4. What are some common examples of analytic functions?

Some common examples of analytic functions include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. These functions have well-defined derivatives at every point in their domain and can be represented by convergent power series.

5. Is every continuous function analytic?

No, not every continuous function is analytic. While all analytic functions are continuous, the converse is not true. There are many continuous functions that are not smooth and do not have a well-defined derivative at every point in their domain, making them non-analytic.