Showing that a surface is a disk? Help please.

In summary, the homework statement is that given the vectorfield F(r), the surface S defined by a mapping (rho,phi) is a disk parallel with the plane yOz with the center at r_c = 4*i+j+k.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Given the vectorfield

[tex]\textbf{F}(r) = y^2\bold{i} + z^2\bold{j} + x^2\bold{k}[/tex] and the surface S defined by a mapping

[tex](\rho,\phi) \in [0,1] \times [0,2\pi] \mapsto \bold{r}(\rho,\phi) = 4\bold{i} + (1+\rho cos(\phi))\bold{j} + (2+\rho sin(\phi))\bold{k} [/tex]

show that S is a disk parallel with the plane yOz with the center at [tex]\bold{r}_c = 4\bold{i} + \bold{j} + 2\bold{k}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that I need to rewrite S is a circle and then I take y and z component of S and write them as a circle. That I get :)

But how do I use this to show that S can be viewed as plane yOz parallel with a disk?

Which theorem do I use?:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
No theorem. Use your brain. In parametric form your surface S is x = 4, y = 1 + r cos(t), z = 2 + r sin(t) (using r instead of rho, and t instead of theta). It's pretty easy to show that for fixed r, these equations describe a circle of radius r, centered at (4, 1, 2). If r is allowed to vary, the circles fill in a disk of radius 1.

If I then run the math I get that

[tex]\bold{F}(r(\rho,\phi)) = 4^2 + (2+r\cdot sin(t))^2 + (1+r\cdot cos(t))^2 = 18 + r^2 +2r \cdot cos(t)+2\cdot r \cdot sin(t) +18 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

where rcos(t) = x and rsin(t) = y thus

[tex]18 + r^2 +2r \cdot cos(t)+2\cdot r \cdot sin(t) +18 = x^2 + y^2 \leftrightarrow x^2 + y^2 -18 -2x - 2y = r^2 [/tex]

Last edited:
I don't know why you would want to come up with the equation of a sphere first. The parametric equations I gave describe exactly the disk that you want, and it is parallel to the y-z plane.

The problem seems to have extra information in it, namely the business about the vector field. This equation
[tex](\rho,\phi) \in [0,1] \times [0,2\pi] \mapsto \bold{r}(\rho,\phi) = 4\bold{i} + (1+\rho cos(\phi))\bold{j} + (2+\rho sin(\phi))\bold{k} [/tex]
defines your disk.

Mark44 said:
I don't know why you would want to come up with the equation of a sphere first. The parametric equations I gave describe exactly the disk that you want, and it is parallel to the y-z plane.

The problem seems to have extra information in it, namely the business about the vector field. This equation
defines your disk.

do I need to show that the dot-product between the circle in yz plane and some line x=? is different from zero and thus they are parallel?

Every point on the disk has an x-coordinate of 4. That means that the disk is parallel to the plane x = 0 (the y-z plane).

Mark44 said:
Every point on the disk has an x-coordinate of 4. That means that the disk is parallel to the plane x = 0 (the y-z plane).

okay to generate the circle in YoZ plane I set x = 0

and get the circle

[tex](1+rcos(t))^2 + (2+ rsin(t))^2 = r^2 + 2r \cdot cos(t) + 2r \cdot sint(t) +2 [/tex] and this is then [tex]y^2 + z^2 = r^2 = -2rcos(t)- 2rsin(t) - 2[/tex]

That if I put rsin(t) = y and rcos(t) = z

that I get [tex]r^2 = (y-1)^2 + (z-1)^2 = r^2 = 1[/tex] if I insert (1,2) in that disk it gives 1. But if this is my disk how do i show that this disk i parallel with let say x=4?

Last edited:
No matter what r and t are, x is always 4. The disk is in the plane x= 4. A normal vector to that plane is <1, 0, 0>. That is also normal to the YZ plane.

HallsofIvy said:
No matter what r and t are, x is always 4. The disk is in the plane x= 4. A normal vector to that plane is <1, 0, 0>. That is also normal to the YZ plane.

I don't have any of the fancy math software like Mathlab, Maple etc. But I would like to know is there any website where I can do a computer drawing of this for free?

Susanne217 said:
okay to generate the circle in YoZ plane I set x = 0

and get the circle

[tex](1+rcos(t))^2 + (2+ rsin(t))^2 = r^2 + 2r \cdot cos(t) + 2r \cdot sint(t) +2 [/tex] and this is then [tex]y^2 + z^2 = r^2 = -2rcos(t)- 2rsin(t) - 2[/tex]

That if I put rsin(t) = y and rcos(t) = z

that I get [tex]r^2 = (y-1)^2 + (z-1)^2 = r^2 = 1[/tex] if I insert (1,2) in that disk it gives 1. But if this is my disk how do i show that this disk i parallel with let say x=4?

From an earlier post, x = 4, y = 1 + rcos(t), and z = 2 + rsin(t).
==> x = 4, y - 1 = rcos(t), and z - 2 = rsin(t)
==> x = 4 and (y - 1)2 + (z - 2)2 = r2(cos2(t) + sin2(t)) = r2

For each value of r such that 0 <= r <= 1, these parametric equations represent a circle centered at (4, 1, 2) of radius r. Each circle is in the plane x = 4, which is parallel to the y-z plane. Taken together, these circles constitute a circular disk of radius 1, centered at (4, 1, 2).

You don't need "fancy software" like Matlab or Maple to be able to do what I've done above. These software packages can be helpful at times, but if you're not able to carry out analysis like what's above, these tools might be a hindrance to your understanding.

1. What is a disk surface?

A disk surface is a two-dimensional object that can be represented as a flat, circular shape with a distinct boundary. It is a type of orientable surface that can be visualized as a flat sheet that can be continuously curved and bent without tearing or intersecting itself.

2. How can you prove that a surface is a disk?

To prove that a surface is a disk, you can use one of several techniques such as the disk theorem, the Jordan curve theorem, or the classification theorem of surfaces. These mathematical theorems provide criteria for determining if a surface is topologically equivalent to a disk.

3. What is the disk theorem?

The disk theorem states that any closed orientable surface is topologically equivalent to a disk if and only if it is homeomorphic to a disk. This means that the surface can be continuously deformed into a disk without tearing or intersecting itself.

4. What is the Jordan curve theorem?

The Jordan curve theorem states that any simple closed curve in the plane divides the plane into two regions, an inside region and an outside region. The inside region is topologically equivalent to a disk, while the outside region is topologically equivalent to the complement of a disk.

5. How can you use the classification theorem of surfaces to show that a surface is a disk?

The classification theorem of surfaces states that any compact orientable surface is topologically equivalent to either a sphere, a connected sum of tori, or a connected sum of projective planes. Since a disk is topologically equivalent to a sphere, it is a special case of the classification theorem. Therefore, if you can show that a surface falls into one of these categories, it can be considered a disk.