1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that rings kZ and lZ, where l≠k are not isomorphic.

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    I have shown that Z is not isomorphic to 2Z and that 2Z is not isomorphic to 3Z. I need now to generalize this. Thus, to prove that rings kZ and lZ, where l≠k are not isomorphic, I need to define an arbitrary isomorphism, and reach a contradiction. So here's what I am thinking. I let f: kZ->lZ be a isomorphism. Then, f(k)=ln , where n is some integer. This is true since k in kZ has to go to some multiple of l. From here, I have just been tinkering around trying to get k to map to 0 so that f is not injective. This worked for the first two. Is this the right approach? Not really looking for a hint, but just an "okay" to keep trying working with this line of reasoning.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, I think that's a valid approach. Go on, you'll get there.

Ask anytime if you want a hint :tongue:

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Okay, I give!! =) A little hint would be great. When working with specific numbers, it was so easy to show that an isomorphism cannot exist. Now, I cannot get anything to work (or not work, I guess). A nudge in the right direction would be nice. Or else, this problem will keep me up all night!

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about [itex]f(k^2)[/itex].

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    Hmmmm...

I worked with that for while. Perhaps, I couldn't see the forest through the trees (or maybe I made an error). Here's what I had.

f(k2)=f(k)f(k)=l2n2

f(k k)=f(k)+f(k)+....+f(k) [k-times]=k(ln)

Now, I know that k≠l. But perhaps there would be a problem if k=ln?

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so we can deduce that k=ln.

Now think about the inverse map [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] and do something similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook