Showing Determinant of Metric Tensor is a Tensor Density

In summary, the determinant of the metric tensor in the new basis, ##g'##, would be given by##g'=\operatorname{sgn}\bigg(\big(\det(C)\big)\bigg)\big(\det(C)\big)^wg \quad \quad \quad (1)##
AndersF
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to show that the determinant ##g \equiv \det(g_{ij})## of the metric tensor is a tensor density.
I'm trying to show that the determinant ##g \equiv \det(g_{ij})## of the metric tensor is a tensor density. Therefore, in order to do that, I need to show that the determinant of the metric tensor in the new basis, ##g'##, would be given by

##g'=\operatorname{sgn}\bigg(\big(\det(C)\big)\bigg)\big(\det(C)\big)^wg \quad \quad \quad (1)##

With ##C=(C^a_b)_{n \times n}## the change-of-basis matrix.

I know that the metric tensor transforms under a change of basis in this way

##\tilde{g}_{i j}=C_{i}^{\alpha} C_{j}^{\beta} g_{\alpha \beta} \quad \quad \quad (2)##

I see that if I could identify in this last equation (2) a matrix multiplication, then I could use the properties of the determinants to get something similar to equation (1). But I'm stuck here, since these terms don't have the form of "classical" matrix multiplications, ##P^i_j=M^i_k N^k_j##.

Could somebody give me a hint on how to accomplish this demonstration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In matrix notation you can write ##\mathrm{det} \tilde{g}=\mathrm{det}(C^{\text{T}} g C)=(\mathrm{det} C)^2 \mathrm{det} g##. So ##g_{\mu \nu}## is a tensor density of weight 2.

Likes AndersF
To add: in linear algebra one has the cyclic identity det(ABC)=det(BCA)=det(CAB), and det(A^T)=det(A) ;)

Edit: typo corrected, thnx robphy!

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and AndersF
haushofer said:
To add: in linear algebra one has the cyclic identity det(ABC)=det(BCA)=det(CBA), and det(A^T)=det(A) ;)
Typo: The third expression in this cyclic identity should be det(CAB).

Likes vanhees71, haushofer and AndersF
vanhees71 said:
In matrix notation you can write ##\mathrm{det} \tilde{g}=\mathrm{det}(C^{\text{T}} g C)=(\mathrm{det} C)^2 \mathrm{det} g##. So ##g_{\mu \nu}## is a tensor density of weight 2.
haushofer said:
To add: in linear algebra one has the cyclic identity det(ABC)=det(BCA)=det(CAB), and det(A^T)=det(A) ;)

Edit: typo corrected, thnx robphy!

Ok, these were just the "tricks" I was looking for, thank you very much!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object used to describe the geometry of a space. It is a symmetric, rank-2 tensor that assigns a distance between two points in a space. It is commonly used in the theory of relativity and differential geometry.

2. What does it mean for a tensor to be a density?

A tensor density is a type of tensor that transforms differently under coordinate transformations than regular tensors. It takes into account the change in volume due to the transformation of coordinates. In other words, it has a weight associated with each point in space, and this weight changes under coordinate transformations.

3. How is the determinant of a metric tensor defined?

The determinant of a metric tensor is defined as the square root of the determinant of the matrix formed by the components of the tensor in a given coordinate system. It represents the volume scaling factor for a change of coordinates in a space.

4. What is the significance of showing that the determinant of a metric tensor is a tensor density?

Showing that the determinant of a metric tensor is a tensor density is significant because it provides a way to take into account the change in volume due to coordinate transformations. This is important in many areas of physics, such as general relativity, where the metric tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime.

5. How is the determinant of a metric tensor used in practical applications?

The determinant of a metric tensor is used in practical applications to calculate the volume of a region in a space, to determine the transformation properties of other tensors, and to solve equations in differential geometry. It is also used in the theory of relativity to calculate the curvature of spacetime and in other areas of physics and mathematics where tensors are used to describe geometric properties of a space.