Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that the Schrödinger equation implies the de Broglie relation when PE=0

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Hello,

In the book physical chemistry (P. Atkins & Julio de Paula, 2009, 5 ED) the authors derive a justification of the Schrödinger equation.

1.) [tex]\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}+V(x)\psi=E \psi[/tex]

The derivation goes as follows:

Derivation:
    We can justify the form of the Schrödinger equation to a certain extent by showing that it implies the de Broglie relation for a freely moving particle.
    By free motion we mean motion in a region where the potential energy is zero (V=0 everywhere).

If V=0, equation 1 simplifies to:

2.) [tex]\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}=E \psi[/tex]

So far all good, however they then present a solution to equation 2. without showing how they obtained it.

The solution is:

[tex]\psi=sin(kx)[/tex]
    [tex]k=\frac{(2mE)^{2}}{\hbar}[/tex]

I have no problem understanding that this is a valid solution however i would like to derive it myself.

Could you provide me with the derivation to the solution of equation 2?

/Thanks in advance,

Linus.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2
    I think you can find it here:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Constant-Coefficients.topicArticleId-19736,articleId-19720.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    :confused: :smile:

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4
    Lol, yes I can see how what I wrote is contradicting. That is the kind of help that I was looking for actually.

/Thank you torquil :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook