Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Showing wave equation?

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    Can someone show me that [tex]f(x, t) = A\cos(K(x-vt) + \phi)[/tex] is in fact a solution of the wave equation?
    I kind of know how to show it by using calculus, but is there other way to show it?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any function f that can be expressed as

[tex]f(x,t)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

satisfies the wave equation. You don't even have to know what g is to show it.

4. Oct 10, 2004 #3
    Could you please show me a little more? I don't really get it why that will satisfie the wave equation...
    Thank you very much!

5. Oct 10, 2004 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're supposed to give hints here, not complete answers, but if you compute the second-order partial derivative

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x,t)}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

using the formula

[tex]f(x,t)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

you're almost there. Does the result look anything like any other second-order partial derivative that appears in the wave equation?

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    But I'm just wondering, is there any other way to show it beside using calculus?
    Thanks again!

7. Oct 11, 2004 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so. The wave equation is a partial differential equation, so any explanation would have to involve derivatives in some way.

I'm pretty sure that there's no easier way to understand the wave equation than the way I suggested. You should note that the graphs of the functions [tex]h_t[/tex], defined by

[tex]h_t(x)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

can be thought of as the individual frames of a "movie" that shows the graph of g moving with velocity v.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook