1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing wave equation?

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    Can someone show me that [tex]f(x, t) = A\cos(K(x-vt) + \phi)[/tex] is in fact a solution of the wave equation?
    I kind of know how to show it by using calculus, but is there other way to show it?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any function f that can be expressed as

[tex]f(x,t)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

satisfies the wave equation. You don't even have to know what g is to show it.

4. Oct 10, 2004 #3
    Could you please show me a little more? I don't really get it why that will satisfie the wave equation...
    Thank you very much!

5. Oct 10, 2004 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're supposed to give hints here, not complete answers, but if you compute the second-order partial derivative

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x,t)}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

using the formula

[tex]f(x,t)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

you're almost there. Does the result look anything like any other second-order partial derivative that appears in the wave equation?

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    But I'm just wondering, is there any other way to show it beside using calculus?
    Thanks again!

7. Oct 11, 2004 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so. The wave equation is a partial differential equation, so any explanation would have to involve derivatives in some way.

I'm pretty sure that there's no easier way to understand the wave equation than the way I suggested. You should note that the graphs of the functions [tex]h_t[/tex], defined by

[tex]h_t(x)=g(x-vt)[/tex]

can be thought of as the individual frames of a "movie" that shows the graph of g moving with velocity v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?