1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shrinking Protons?

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    Friends,

I came across an old (2010) "U" Tube video. It said that recent studies indicated that Protons may actually be about 4% smaller than previously thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnnnJlXvwN8&list=UUvBqzzvUBLCs8Y7Axb-jZew

{Anyone know whether this has been corroborated or disproven?}

Just for phun:

Suppose that the old measurement was correct, but that Protons are actually getting smaller. What are the larger implications?

Cases:

A.} It was a one-time-only event.

B.} Protons (and presumably other subatomic particles) oscillate in size, but within relatively narrow limits.

C.} Protons continue to get ever smaller

Also,

D.} What if there are Entanglement Phenomena? {i.e. Protons all over the Universe shrink or grow simultaneously.} What would this imply?

I just wondered if there would be any interesting, calculable and knowable consequences for any of these cases.

{Y'all don't mind me spelling it "Phun" do you? I use that to mean the enjoyment of contemplating hypothetical situations.}

Thanks.

Saxon Violence

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, speculation such as this is not permissible per PF rules. Please stick to questions about mainstream science, not what-ifs that require changing the known laws of nature. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook