Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Shrodinger's pistol?

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    In a blow to the Copenhagen interpretation, the Senate on Wednesday rejected a measure allowing a person with a concealed weapon permit in one state to also hide his firearm in another state.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32078707/ns/politics-capitol_hill" [Broken]
    Anyone here secretly carrying a gun?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can't allow your uber-liberal Scandinavian physics to dictate American policy

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You'll never know unless you measure my pocket :rofl:

I don't see the big deal though, it's common sense to gun owners I know. For example, a shotgun in California isn't allowed to hold more then 3 shells including one in the chamber (or is it 4? :biggrin:). If you bring in a shotgun from another state, it needs to be plugged or probably just dont be caught with more shells then is legal.

5. Jul 22, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

The defeat of hidden-variable carry....sad.

6. Jul 22, 2009 #5
    hell nah this thread is funny! hahaa. I just got off from reading those PhD comics for almost 2 hours, **** is addictive!

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No worries, Shrodinger's bullets are harmless.

8. Jul 22, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I'm not carrying a concealed gun, I'm just happy to see you.

9. Jul 22, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not entirely clear on the issue here. At first glance it seemed to me like it wasn't fundamentally different than having a drivers' license be transferrable between states. Is it just a matter of minor incompatibilities between concealed carry laws?

10. Jul 22, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well... as long as you don't look at them.

11. Jul 22, 2009 #10
    just require everyone to open carry. problem solved.

12. Jul 22, 2009 #11
    States have different standards (some times wildly different) by which they determine elegibility for concealed carry permits. Some states are even 'will issue'(I think that's the term) where they will give anyone a permit that meets certain minimum criteria while I think in most states you must submit a ligitimate reason for your having such a permit and issuance is at the discretion of the regulating agency.

Edit: I think, essentially, law enforcement likes to know who is carrying concealed weapons in their jurisdiction.

13. Jul 22, 2009 #12
    Wait, drivers licenses don't carry across state borders? I can't believe that.

14. Jul 22, 2009 #13
    You can usually use your drivers license for a period of time out of state but if you stay there long enough to be considered a resident (and this varies from place to place) you must get a new state driver's license from the state of residence.

Edit: but yes, just driving from place to place your license works fine.

15. Jul 23, 2009 #14

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The issue of out of state drivers licenses is an interesting one regarding law enforcement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

This sheds good light on the concealed carry issue. Imagine if Montana decided to never penalize drivers who committed violations outside their state. So you speed at 140 mph in New York, get a ticket, go back to Montana, and never have to pay it. The rest of the states would fight pretty hard if they were forced to accept Montanans driving around their state, knowing they can basically do whatever they want, and as long as no one gets killed go home and pay nothing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  16. Jul 23, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, I think that's the point. Having a driver's license gives you permission to drive in another state, but it doesn't give you permission to ignore their rules of the road and driving laws in favor of the ones from your home state.

As another example, in my state, I'm still allowed to hold my cell phone in my hand while on a call and drive at the same time. However, if I cross the state line into a state that does not permit being on the cell phone without a hands-free earpiece thing, I better disconnect that call or switch to a hands-free device. I don't get to tell the cop stopping me that I am allowed to hold the phone at home so need to be allowed to hold it in their state.

17. Jul 23, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Are you sure? What if they are indeterminate and take all possible paths through you?

18. Jul 23, 2009 #17
    I doubt that the laws of any state can directly impose restrictions on another state. I note that PA will not recognize an out-of-state driver's license of someone who has lived in PA for 60 days, while in FL, it's 30 days. Perhaps there is no Federal law that forces a state to recognize out-of-state licenses, or perhaps the Federal law provides for a minimum but not a maximum grace period. The key issue is that without a Federal law, states can do what they want. Was it not for this very reason that the bill was introduced in the Senate in the first place?

Edit: or that states have agreed among themselves without involving the Feds.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook