Who Said "Shut Up and Calculate"?

• Thread starter Azael
  • Start date
In summary, the author is undecided whether it was Dirac or Feynman that said "Shut up and calculate!"
Azael
Was it Feynman or Dirac that said "Shut up and calculate!"

I have always belived it was Feynman but this wiki article states its Dirac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation

Im confused:yuck: :cry: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
I read it ascribed to Feynman, but don't recall where I read it. If it comes back to me I'll post it here, though.

Here's a very interesting piece:

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-5/p10.html [Broken]

This man believes he may have originated the phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't trust wiki articles ever since they are free to edit and can be made by anyone. They are good articles for basic knowledge but don't rely on it for facts because more often than not there is an error lying in it.
Now whether it is Mermin or Feynman is a different story...and an interesting one.

The plot thickens:cool:

If there is any quote I like, it would be this one. It eptomises the need for just 'shutting the f*&k up' in science. Not even Einstein does it for me here, too much outspoken, too much BS in my opinion.

Outspoken Scientists are the worst, besides hippies.

Bladibla said:
If there is any quote I like, it would be this one. It eptomises the need for just 'shutting the f*&k up' in science. Not even Einstein does it for me here, too much outspoken, too much BS in my opinion.

Outspoken Scientists are the worst, besides hippies.

How outspoken.

Christina- said:
You shouldn't trust wiki articles ever since they are free to edit and can be made by anyone. They are good articles for basic knowledge but don't rely on it for facts because more often than not there is an error lying in it.
Now whether it is Mermin or Feynman is a different story...and an interesting one.
I have Mermin's book on SR. Decent read, but not real great. Wish we used Wheeler instead. Oh well.

Wikipedia is in general as accurate as Brittannica. That said, neither is authoritative, and neither is a method of proof (*points at the myriads of morons who try to tell me iron undergoes fusion in supernova explosions trying to use wikipedia citations as a method of proof*). Citation in general, is not a method of proof.

Last edited:
rachmaninoff said:
How outspoken.

No. Me outspoken would be to take about politics, society and general anti war protests.

Bladibla said:
No. Me outspoken would be to take about politics, society and general anti war protests.

I don't see why one would disregard a scientists opinion like a hippies opinion. Yah hippies are generally way off and have no regard for reality but scientists tend to be pretty level-headed people. I personally have a problem of people quoting scientists in a way that depicts them as of a higher philisophical intellect. Then again quoting people to me is a fairly flakey idea in the first place. Then again, i was about to put a quote in my signature...

I almost agreed with you, then I realized who wrote it and disregarded it.

tribdog said:
I almost agreed with you, then I realized who wrote it and disregarded it.

i love you so much tribdog :grumpy:

wanna make out?

No no is no

I meant in general, not just with me. virgin

1. Who originally said "Shut Up and Calculate"?

The phrase "Shut Up and Calculate" is often attributed to physicist Richard Feynman, although he never actually said those exact words. In his book "Six Easy Pieces," Feynman describes the concept of "shut up and calculate" as a way to focus on the mathematical predictions of quantum mechanics without getting bogged down in philosophical questions about the nature of reality.

2. What does "Shut Up and Calculate" mean?

"Shut Up and Calculate" is a phrase used in the field of quantum mechanics to emphasize the importance of focusing on the mathematical calculations and predictions, rather than trying to interpret or make sense of the underlying physical reality. It is a reminder to scientists to stay focused on the data and avoid getting sidetracked by philosophical debates.

3. Is "Shut Up and Calculate" a controversial statement?

Yes, the phrase "Shut Up and Calculate" has sparked controversy and debate within the scientific community. While some see it as a practical approach to understanding quantum mechanics, others argue that it neglects important philosophical questions and limits the scope of scientific inquiry.

4. Do all physicists agree with the "Shut Up and Calculate" approach?

No, not all physicists agree with the "Shut Up and Calculate" approach. Some argue that it is important to consider the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics and that ignoring these questions hinders a deeper understanding of the theory. Others believe that the two approaches can coexist and complement each other.

5. Is "Shut Up and Calculate" applicable to other areas of science?

The phrase "Shut Up and Calculate" was specifically coined in the context of quantum mechanics, but its principles can be applied to other areas of science. It serves as a reminder to stay focused on the data and avoid getting caught up in personal biases or preconceived notions. However, the phrase has also received criticism for promoting a reductionist and narrow-minded approach to scientific inquiry.