Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Shuttle force problem

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

NASA launches a shuttle with a mass (including the rockets) of 1.81 x10^6 kg. If it accelerates upward at a rate of 13 m/s2 near the Earth's surface, what is the force that the shuttle-rocket engines exert? (Of course, the shuttle does not actually have this much acceleration until it is well above the Earth's surface, but that is a harder calculation!)

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Is there another equation that I should use in this problem? because I was thinking that I have the mass of the entire shuttle and the acceleration at that point, so I could just plug that into the equation to solve for mass. I also tried using a free-body diagram in case I was missing anything, and then I saw that weight would play a part in this process, so then I tried F=ma-mg but I'm still having difficulty figuring out the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2
    never mind...I figured it out...

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that newton's second law reads like this (pay attention to the sigma:smile:):

[tex]\Sigma\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

So, what you will find is the net force if you find ma. What forces make up this net force?

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Awesome!:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook