1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shuttle force problem

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

NASA launches a shuttle with a mass (including the rockets) of 1.81 x10^6 kg. If it accelerates upward at a rate of 13 m/s2 near the Earth's surface, what is the force that the shuttle-rocket engines exert? (Of course, the shuttle does not actually have this much acceleration until it is well above the Earth's surface, but that is a harder calculation!)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Is there another equation that I should use in this problem? because I was thinking that I have the mass of the entire shuttle and the acceleration at that point, so I could just plug that into the equation to solve for mass. I also tried using a free-body diagram in case I was missing anything, and then I saw that weight would play a part in this process, so then I tried F=ma-mg but I'm still having difficulty figuring out the right answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2
    never mind...I figured it out...
  4. Oct 2, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that newton's second law reads like this (pay attention to the sigma:smile:):

So, what you will find is the net force if you find ma. What forces make up this net force?
  5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?