SHV Connectors for PMT Wires

• Thread starter ColdFusion85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
In summary, the speaker is working on a project using Hamamatsu R6233HA photomultiplier tubes and needs to connect them to a high voltage source. They are having trouble finding a smaller SHV connector for the .110 inch diameter wires and have searched various websites without success. They are asking for advice and if anyone has experience with this issue and can suggest a source for smaller SHV connectors. They also mention not wanting to use other high voltage connectors if possible and suggest contacting Hamamatsu for help.
ColdFusion85
I am currently working on a project in which photomultipliers are used. Specifically, they are Hamamatsu R6233HA models. In order to test these tubes, I have to connect the wires to a high voltage source. The problem is the wires are .110 inch in diameter and are not connected at the ends, so I an trying to locate an SHV connector for the high voltage wire. However, all I can seem to find is larger SHV connectors such as those 0.56 in in diameter. I have searched Newark, Digi-Key, and other websites for smaller SHV connectors, but to no avail. Furthermore, the Hamamatsu website does not provide any helpful information in terms of what SHV connectors to use, and where to find them.

Has anyone had a similar problem before, especially if you have used the Hamamatsu PMTs in the past, and if so, where I could find smaller SHV connectors? I do not want to resort to using other high voltage connectors (i.e. Limo)if I can help it.

Thanks,

Herbert Graaves

Engineering news on Phys.org
Call Hamamatsu.

Hello Herbert,

I can understand the frustration of not being able to find the right SHV connector for your project. It sounds like you have already done your due diligence in searching for smaller SHV connectors, but have come up empty-handed. Here are a few suggestions that may help you in your search:

1. Contact Hamamatsu directly: As the manufacturer of the PMT tubes you are using, they may have specific recommendations for SHV connectors that are compatible with their tubes. You can reach out to their customer service or technical support team for assistance.

2. Check with other suppliers: In addition to Newark and Digi-Key, you can also try reaching out to other suppliers or distributors of Hamamatsu products. They may have a wider range of SHV connectors available that could meet your needs.

3. Consider custom options: If you are unable to find a suitable SHV connector, you may need to consider custom options. There are companies that specialize in designing and manufacturing custom connectors, and they may be able to create one that meets your specific requirements.

4. Explore alternative solutions: While you mentioned not wanting to use other high voltage connectors, it may be worth considering as a temporary solution if you are unable to find an SHV connector. You can continue your search for a suitable SHV connector while using an alternative connector for testing purposes.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you in finding the right SHV connector for your project. Best of luck!

1. What are SHV connectors for PMT wires?

SHV connectors for PMT wires are specialized high-voltage connectors used to connect photomultiplier tubes (PMTs) to their power supply. They are designed to safely and securely transmit high voltages, typically in the range of 1,000 to 5,000 volts, to the PMT for optimal performance.

2. What are the main features of SHV connectors for PMT wires?

The main features of SHV connectors for PMT wires include a compact size, high voltage rating, and secure connections. They also often have a keyway or keying system to ensure proper alignment during installation and prevent accidental mismating.

3. How do SHV connectors for PMT wires differ from other high-voltage connectors?

SHV connectors for PMT wires are specifically designed for use with PMTs and have a distinctive "tear-drop" shape with a single central pin. This differs from other high-voltage connectors, such as BNC or N-type connectors, which have multiple pins or a different shape and are not suitable for use with PMTs.

4. What are the common applications of SHV connectors for PMT wires?

SHV connectors for PMT wires are commonly used in scientific and industrial applications where high-voltage signals need to be transmitted to PMTs. This includes in particle physics experiments, medical imaging, and nuclear instrumentation, among others.

5. How should I handle and maintain SHV connectors for PMT wires?

It is important to handle SHV connectors for PMT wires carefully and avoid dropping or damaging them, as this can affect their performance. They should also be cleaned regularly with a lint-free cloth and inspected for any signs of wear or damage. If any defects are found, the connector should be replaced immediately to ensure safe and reliable operation.