Shyness a factor for unsuccessful career?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: The author of the book says that shy people are narcissists because they think everyone is focused on them and judging them. However, in reality, most people are just walking around in their own little worlds.
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it will toughen you up a bit too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sports are good - I don't know about a gym. I'm in my own little world when I'm working out and I don't talk to anyone unless we're sharing equipment.

proton said:
"Judo comes to mind. It's not a loner sport like distance running, but not a group sport like softball. It's hands-on, interactive, and you progress at your own pace. And it's fun. I'm not telling you to join a Judo club necessarily! Just offering it as an illustrative idea."
I just checked that my community center offers a karate class. I'll probably sign up for that class.

search for judo, its much more fun, its not good for self defense, but its much more fun than just pointing fists as if they were real(which is better than real heh..). also it gives you great fitness, u use almost every muscle in your body.

hmm btw, the way i reduced my shyness was to just stop caring what people may say(usually its just in your mind), and stop comparing myself to others, though I am still young so its still in progress. just brainwash yourself to not care, every time you think about your position comparing to others, just cut that line of thought.btw, i don't really get why many of you people think its necessary for one to communicate with all beings... one should be social only when he is genuinely interested...
i mean, I am quiet near most people(besides friends), since i have nothing to say to them that will interest them, and they have nothing to say to me that will interest me...

Yeah I found a karate place that offered a good deal, so I'll try that out. My dad also had the same shyness problem before and he got better by joining the Toastmasters, so I'll try that as well. Thanks for the advice everyone!

JasonRox said:
Believe it or not. Working out does help build confidence, so it's good advice.

I've seen the difference with a few people. I knew this kid over the summer who at first was extremely shy and never spoke with anyone. He started working out and less than a week in, he was already more confident.

proton said:
Yeah I found a karate place that offered a good deal, so I'll try that out. My dad also had the same shyness problem before and he got better by joining the Toastmasters, so I'll try that as well. Thanks for the advice everyone!

That's great Pro!

I'm really not trying to push you here (although it sounds like it even to me) but my reason for suggesting judo wasn't for self defense or fitness, although they are good reasons as well. It was more because of the contact aspect. You get to really throw and get thrown, and wrestle your opponent into hold-downs on the mat. I think a friendly contact sport does a lot to loosen you up socially. And it breaks the ice with your fellow members. Judo also seems to appeal to a less macho type of person, although that depends very much on the club. I know that some martial arts clubs are more into the Rambo tough-guy thing than others.

Macho? I went to work in the logging camps in 1968, with guys who'd been working since grade 8. These were guys who had learned to log before the days of hard hats, rubber rain clothes or chain saws. And none of them had that Rambo swagger. A few of the 18 year old kids did. Some of the toughest people I've known have been gentle and generous.

Whatever you decide to do, the results of your efforts will give you confidence. Nothing builds self esteem better than achievement.