1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Si and light

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Hi i was reading yesterday in a semiconductor lessons that the Si is not suitable for creating light.. Do u know why is this happening?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Not suitable" is correct in a simplistic sense, because crystalline Silicon is not a direct band-gap material. However, over these last two years, researchers have shown that you can make Silicon based photonic devices, using the Raman effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_bandgap

4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    To speak more of this, there are semiconductors with Direct band gaps and Indirect band gaps.
    In direct band gap materials optical transitions are more probable eg:- GaAs. Here valance band maximum and conduction band minimum lie at same K-value.
    Where as in indirect band gap materials optical processes are not dominant eg:-Si, Ge .Here VB maximum and CB minimum are at different K-values.So the incoming photon has to be excited first to a virtual state and then to the conduction minimum.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4
    Thx a lot but how can u explain me that optical transitions in Si are not propable to occur? How the indirects bands affect these transitions

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is clearly explained in the article I linked. An indirect bandgap is one when the VB maximum and CB minimum have different crystal momenta. For an electron to go from the first to the second, it needs a considerable change in momentum. A photon does not have enough momentum to make this change possible; so a photon can not facilitate this transition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?