Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Si and light

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Hi i was reading yesterday in a semiconductor lessons that the Si is not suitable for creating light.. Do u know why is this happening?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Not suitable" is correct in a simplistic sense, because crystalline Silicon is not a direct band-gap material. However, over these last two years, researchers have shown that you can make Silicon based photonic devices, using the Raman effect.

4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    To speak more of this, there are semiconductors with Direct band gaps and Indirect band gaps.
    In direct band gap materials optical transitions are more probable eg:- GaAs. Here valance band maximum and conduction band minimum lie at same K-value.
    Where as in indirect band gap materials optical processes are not dominant eg:-Si, Ge .Here VB maximum and CB minimum are at different K-values.So the incoming photon has to be excited first to a virtual state and then to the conduction minimum.
  5. Jan 30, 2006 #4
    Thx a lot but how can u explain me that optical transitions in Si are not propable to occur? How the indirects bands affect these transitions
  6. Jan 30, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is clearly explained in the article I linked. An indirect bandgap is one when the VB maximum and CB minimum have different crystal momenta. For an electron to go from the first to the second, it needs a considerable change in momentum. A photon does not have enough momentum to make this change possible; so a photon can not facilitate this transition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?