Projects in which silicon and germanium use as a diode

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for studying projects that use silicon and germanium as diodes. The person has tried searching online and in books but hasn't found the information they need. They provide a list of possible projects and ask for guidance on whether they can be considered as projects and if there are silicon and germanium diodes involved. The expert suggests googling "silicon versus germanium" for more information and encourages the person to try and answer their own questions before asking for specific help.
XuFyaN

Homework Statement

Where can i study about those projects in which silicon and germanium use as a diode with their purpose in the appropriate project?

The Attempt at a Solution

I want the list of atleast 30 projects in which si & ge , i also wants to know for which purpose si & ge use in those projects..i searched a lot in books and internet but didn't find the answer anywhere.
Can anyone please guide me where i can find such projects.
Here is my efforts,

(1) Rectifiers in dc power supplies
(2) Zener diodes in voltage regulators
(3) Tunnel diodes as a relaxation oscillator at microwave frequencies.
(4) Light emitter diode in digital displays.
(5) Clipping and clamping networks.
(6) Varactor diode in tuning sections of radio and TV receivers.

can i consider these as projects ? and is there Si and GE diode presents in them ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
XuFyaN said:

Homework Statement

Where can i study about those projects in which silicon and germanium use as a diode with their purpose in the appropriate project?

The Attempt at a Solution

I want the list of atleast 30 projects in which si & ge , i also wants to know for which purpose si & ge use in those projects..i searched a lot in books and internet but didn't find the answer anywhere.
Can anyone please guide me where i can find such projects.
Here is my efforts,

(1) Rectifiers in dc power supplies
(2) Zener diodes in voltage regulators
(3) Tunnel diodes as a relaxation oscillator at microwave frequencies.
(4) Light emitter diode in digital displays.
(5) Clipping and clamping networks.
(6) Varactor diode in tuning sections of radio and TV receivers.

can i consider these as projects ? and is there Si and GE diode presents in them ?

I googled silicon versus germanium, and got lots of good hits. Have a look through the hit list, to see how many of your questions you can answer yourself. If you have specific questions about the information in the hit list, please provide a link and ask it here.

http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=silicon+versus+germanium

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It has two terminals, an anode and a cathode, and acts as a switch that only allows current to pass through when the anode is at a higher voltage than the cathode.

2. How are silicon and germanium used in diodes?

Silicon and germanium are both commonly used as the semiconductor material in diodes. They are both able to conduct electricity, but can also act as insulators depending on the impurities added to them. This allows for precise control of the diode's properties.

3. What makes silicon and germanium diodes different?

Silicon and germanium diodes have different properties due to their atomic structures. Silicon has a larger bandgap, meaning it can withstand higher voltages, while germanium has a smaller bandgap and is more sensitive to temperature changes. Additionally, silicon is more commonly used in modern diodes due to its abundance and lower cost.

4. What are some common applications of diodes using silicon and germanium?

Diodes are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including power supplies, radios, and computers. In particular, diodes using silicon and germanium are commonly found in rectifiers, which convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC).

5. Can silicon and germanium diodes be used interchangeably?

While silicon and germanium diodes have similar functions, they have different properties and are not always interchangeable. The choice of which type of diode to use depends on the specific application and the desired characteristics, such as voltage and temperature sensitivity.