Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi folks is there anyone who could help me with si02 please
You want to deposit it as part of making your own integrated circuits? :smile:

phyzguy
Science Advisor
Hi folks is there anyone who could help me with si02 please
You need to be more specific. What help are you looking for?

Ok I'm looking at making my own and for my own use ceramic coating for my car motorcycle and mtb....so I have a large jar of silica dioxide and so far I have found out how to hopefully liquefy it to a thick liquid, now I am stumped on what to thin it down.. some kind of carrier solvent.
Thanks

phyzguy
Science Advisor
Silicon dioxide is quartz - a hard mineral with a melting point of ~1700 C. You will not liquefy it easily. I suspect what you have is sodium silicate or sodium metasilicate, also referred to as "water glass". I think you can thin it with water. You should be careful with it. The dried residue can be very dangerous to inhale.

Likes Gaz1974
jim mcnamara
Mentor
You thin it with water - assuming water glass. Consider reading this - especially the uses section - before you waste materials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

The covering you create is brittle. (automotive repair section) What you are really doing is making a finish out of thin windows glass.

Likes Gaz1974
Silicon dioxide is quartz - a hard mineral with a melting point of ~1700 C. You will not liquefy it easily. I suspect what you have is sodium silicate or sodium metasilicate, also referred to as "water glass". I think you can thin it with water. You should be careful with it. The dried residue can be very dangerous to inhale.
Thank you phyzguy that is really helpful. I am definitely no chemist but do take health and safety serious, gloves, glasses, quality dust mask and tend to do a bit of research before trying things....quite boring really lol

Likes berkeman
You thin it with water - assuming water glass. Consider reading this - especially the uses section - before you waste materials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

The covering you create is brittle. (automotive repair section) What you are really doing is making a finish out of thin windows glass.
Thanks Jim, I thought it may have been some kind of solvent as its supposed to evaporate quite quickly after application n please dont think I'm disputing you at all. I'm extremely grateful for your help.
Thanks

Likes berkeman