Sick Physics student needs Help

In summary, a student who was sick and missed a lecture on Equilibrium in their Physics class is struggling to understand the topic from the textbook. They are worried about their grades and are seeking help to understand the material. Equilibrium in mechanics refers to a state of balance where the forces acting on a body are balanced, while in thermodynamics it refers to equal temperatures between two bodies. In chemistry, equilibrium refers to reversible reactions occurring at equal rates.
Earth_kissed
Sick Physics student needs Help!

I was sick for one day of my Physics class and I missed the lecture on Equilibrium. I thought that I could just read the book and learn from there... but The book speaks a whole different language than my teacher. I have no Idea how to do these problems, and because I'm an idiot and didn't ask my teacher before, i have tonight to make up my homework and I have no Idea how to do it... I can't afford to get a bad grade on this assignment (or the next test for that matter) because I am down to a C+ because of the last Test!

I don't want to post all my homework on here for someone else to do it, and me still not understand what I'm doing...

So if some kind soul out there wants to tudor me a little you can IM me on Earth_kissed4555@hotmail.com or you can e-mail me at the same address!

I only have tonight to try to figure this out so hopfully someone will see my plea for help in time!

Any help is welcome! (BTW I thought it would be okay to skip Chemistry and go straight to Physics because it more has to do with my carrer goal, but now I regret it because I don't understand any of this!)

A girl in need,
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah your a CHEAT-AH!

Laura,

Asking us to explain some large topic for you better than a textbook is not likely to generate many responses.

Go ahead and post some (or all) of your problems here. We're not going to just hand you the answers, don't worry. We'll try to help you understand how to solve them.

- Warren

Can you also explain a little bit more of what you mean by "equilibrium"? There are many kinds of equilibrium...

equilibrium

An object in equilibrium is a non-accelerating object. The sum of all forces effecting the body is zero.

(Info found when i searched for equilibrium on yahoo)

equilibrium, state of balance. When a body or a system is in equilibrium, there is no net tendency to change.

In mechanics, equilibrium has to do with the forces acting on a body. When no force is acting to make a body move in a line, the body is in translational equilibrium; when no force is acting to make the body turn, the body is in rotational equilibrium. A body in equilibrium at rest is said to be in static equilibrium. However, a state of equilibrium does not mean that no forces act on the body, but only that the forces are balanced. For example, when a lever is being used to hold up a raised object, forces are being exerted downward on each end of the lever and upward on its fulcrum, but the upward and downward forces balance to maintain translational equilibrium, and the clockwise and counterclockwise moments of the forces on either end balance to maintain rotational equilibrium. The stability of a body is a measure of its ability to return to a position of equilibrium after being disturbed. It depends on the shape of the body and the location of its center of gravity (see center of mass). A body with a large flat base and a low center of gravity will be very stable, returning quickly to its position of equilibrium after being tipped. However, a body with a small base and high center of gravity will tend to topple if tipped and is thus less stable than the first body. A body balanced precariously on a point is in unstable equilibrium. Some bodies, such as a ball or a cone lying on its side, do not return to their original position of equilibrium when pushed, assuming instead a new position of equilibrium; these are said to be in neutral equilibrium. In thermodynamics, two bodies placed in contact with each other are said to be in thermal equilibrium when, after a sufficient length of time, their temperatures are equal. Chemical equilibrium refers to reversible chemical reactions in which the reactions involved are occurring in opposite directions at equal rates, so that no net change is observed.

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

There are a few things you can do to improve your understanding of physics. First, make sure you are keeping up with your class lectures and taking notes. Practice solving problems regularly and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed. Additionally, try to connect the concepts you are learning to real-world examples and ask questions to deepen your understanding.

2. What resources are available for a sick physics student?

There are many resources available for sick physics students. Your school may have a tutoring center or study groups you can join. Online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations can also be helpful. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher for extra help or accommodations if needed.

3. How can I manage my workload while dealing with illness?

Managing your workload while dealing with illness can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your health. Communicate with your teacher about your situation and ask for extensions or accommodations if needed. Break up your studying and work into smaller, manageable chunks and take breaks when necessary. Don't be afraid to ask for help from classmates, friends, or family.

4. Can I still succeed in physics if I miss class due to illness?

Yes, you can still succeed in physics even if you miss class due to illness. It's important to communicate with your teacher and stay organized with class materials and assignments. Make sure to catch up on missed material and seek help if needed. Don't be discouraged and remember to take care of your health first.

5. How can I stay motivated to study while dealing with illness?

Staying motivated to study while dealing with illness can be tough, but it's important to prioritize your education. Set small, achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself for meeting them. Find study methods that work for you, such as flashcards, concept maps, or practice problems. And remember to take breaks and take care of your health to avoid burnout.