Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sicker than a dog

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Chills, sick, diarrhea but i managed to do my house work, vacuumed and then sneezed a bag of flour all over the place, washed and it all blew of the line, all my pegs seem to have gone brittle and break, went to kick the vacuum cleaner cause it was not working well missed and
    ended up on my ass, now that hurts, some one shoot me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    I broke all your pegs, sorry :tongue:

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad. Sounds like the flu...I must say, your devotion to cleanliness is admirable. House work can wait - get better first! Drink a cup of chicken soup and take a long nap.

Hope you feel better soon!

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Bad things never come in small bits, they always clump together.

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

After the first three words, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but it sounds like I have exactly the same thing. It's brutal.

7. Feb 16, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Poor you, when i get ill i get angry it is best that visitors stay away, but i think today is an exception, i need nursing.

8. Feb 16, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

And what dick head invented the word diarrhea, even spell checker would not recognise my first attempts.

9. Feb 16, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the flu, Woolie and Russ. I've been lucky so far this year. I usually don't bother getting a flu shot, and this year is no exception, though just yesterday I found out that the strain of flu that's making the rounds here was not included in this year's flu vaccine, so getting the shot wouldn't have helped anyway. (I'm going to wash my hands thoroughly after leaving this thread.):biggrin:

10. Feb 16, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Flu? i do not get flu, i do not even get colds, what i have must be one powerful thing to get past my defences.

11. Feb 16, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Cholera? Black Death? Bubonic plague?

12. Feb 16, 2008 #11
    My sympathy. This stuff going round is the kind that makes you wonder why there's only one toilet in the Loo - you have to choose which end.

13. Feb 16, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Can you imagine a family coming down with this at the same time, i am glad i live alone, even though i could do with some busty lady lady to mop my brow.

14. Feb 16, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was down hard for a week and sick for another two. Tsu says it's the sickest she's ever seen me in over twenty years.

One of my customers has about 300 employees and had half of them out one day.

I was not aware of "brittle pegs" being a symptom but will write that down.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  15. Feb 16, 2008 #14

Astronuc

Russ and Woolie, I hope you guys recover quickly!

I'm fortunate this season. Everyone around me has been ill sometime during the last 2-3 months, but I've managed so far to keep well. Aside from a bout of walking pneumonia about this time last year, I haven't had a serious illness for years. Perhaps it's all the hot sauce I consume.

16. Feb 16, 2008 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What were you doing with a bag of flour up your nose? :confused:

17. Feb 16, 2008 #16

Astronuc

Sounds a bit like the flu or cold (rhino) virus. Chicken soup is really good for nutrition and hydration. Also, add hot sauce to it!

18. Feb 16, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Plastic exposed to sunlight will embrittle, and cold temperature will also cause plastic to be brittle. Wood pegs will absorbed moisture and deteriorate.

Don't kick the vacuum cleaner. If you make contact, you might break a toe or sprain an ankle, which is only slightly worse than busting one's bum.

19. Feb 16, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Almost everything is better with chili sauce/relish. As for colds/flu, hot (spicy) stuff can help clear sinuses, help you break a good sweat to bring down a fever, and if it's made with chili peppers, it's loaded with vitamin C. I can't remember the last time I had a cold or flu. It's probably because I eat so much hot stuff. Or maybe my memory is going...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  20. Feb 16, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I hope you get over your nottheflu-and-notacold quickly, then.

21. Feb 16, 2008 #20

Astronuc

When I was a grad student, if I felt a cold coming on, I used to go get a Double Death Burger. It had two beef patties soaked in tobasco sauce and cooked and served with jalapeños. It was a great way to treat a cold. :biggrin:

Now I have even better stuff - like turbo's habanero relishes, Dave's Insanity, MadDog Inferno, or Blair's sauces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?