1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Side of a triangle (geometry)

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As shown in the diagram below, the shape consists of a square and a circle with centre Q. Given that QM = 3 cm, prove that MN = 6 cm.

Known data:
    -- triangles APB and BQC are congruent
    -- angle BMC = 90
    -- triangles BMQ and BNA are similar and right-angled

Doubt.JPG

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

This is a part of a structured question and I've already proved all the data listed above. I also know that AN = 6 cm as the triangles are similar, and I think that the solution might have something to do with triangle AMN being isosceles (but I can't prove that). There's probably something obvious I'm missing, so a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Can you show that there is a point X such that ANMX is a square?

4. Aug 26, 2015 #3
    Thank you! I think something like this would suffice: Let AX be the line parallel to MN, such that X lies on the extension of CQ. As we know ∠NMQ = 90°, ∠AXM =90° as they are interior angles between parallel lines. Since ∠MNA and ∠XAN are 90° as well, ANMX is a square, and AN = NM. Therefore MN is 6 cm.

Thanks once again.

5. Aug 26, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

I think that your argument only proves that ANMX is a rectangle. I may have steered you wrong...I do not see a good way to make the conclusion along those lines.
    What about this:
    triangles APB and BQC are congruent, so AP = AQ.
    So you should be able to show that QMB = NPA.
    Then use the isosceles rule to say BN = NM.
    And I think you should be able to conclude the result you are looking for.

6. Aug 26, 2015 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should be able to do this using similar triangles.

From the result that AN = 6cm, you can show that ΔAMN is isosceles.

7. Aug 26, 2015 #6
    What about this:

As ΔAPB is congruent with ΔBQC, AP = QB
    ΔANB is congruent with ΔBMC by AAS rule since ∠ANB = ∠BMC = 90°, ∠MCB = ∠NBA, AB = BC
    Hence, AN = BM, the third side of the congruent triangles shown. As AN = 6 cm, BM = 6 cm
    As ΔBMQ and ΔBNA are similar (scale factor 2), BN = BM*2 = 12 cm, and MN = BN - BM = 6 cm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted