Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity: New Book by CUP

In summary, there is a new textbook on relativity being published by Cambridge UP in 2022. It is compiled and edited by Coleman's three students Griffiths, Derbes, and Sohn who took Physics 210 relativity course at Harvard in the late 60's when Sidney was teaching it. The book consists of two parts devoted to special relativity and (beginning) general relativity. It can be downloaded chapter-by-chapter on the CUP website and is available for pre-order on various platforms. The book is expected to be pedagogically successful, with a nice discussion of Green's functions, an often omitted derivation of the EM field tensor, and an important discussion of mass renormalization. However, it is
physicsworks
Gold Member
In case you haven't heard, there is a new textbook on relativity to be published by Cambridge UP in 2022. It is compiled and edited by Coleman's three students Griffiths, Derbes, and Sohn who took Physics 210 relativity course at Harvard in the late 60's when Sidney was teaching it.

The book consists of two parts devoted to special relativity and (beginning) general relativity. The entire book can be downloaded on a chapter-by-chapter basis on CUP website and is also available to pre-order on various platforms.

Those who have read Coleman's "Aspects of Symmetry" and his recently compiled lecture notes on QFT (again, by his students) may expect the new book to become pedagogically successeful, even though the lectures were delivered 50 years ago. I have only glanced through the first part on special relativity so far, but I can already note a nice discussion of Green's funcitons, an often omitted derivation of the EM field tensor due to a point charge in arbitrary motion, and an important discussion of mass renormalization in relativistic electrodynamics, among other things. In addition, Coleman's style of teaching physics is nicely conveyed by the editors and is apparent from reading the book. However, these are still lecture notes, so do not expect a full treatise on relativity (the second part of the book on general relativity is introductory).

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you must have appropriate credentials or money to download anything.

PAllen said:
It seems you must have appropriate credentials or money to download anything.
Sorry, I was accessing it from work when I last checked. The book can be downloaded on eduroam network as well.

physicsworks said:
Sorry, I was accessing it from work when I last checked. The book can be downloaded on eduroam network as well.
That doesn't help me either. I am not currently affiliated with any educational institution (or any institution at all - fully retired). But always a big fan of Coleman.

PAllen said:
I am not currently affiliated with any educational institution (or any institution at all - fully retired).
Sent via private messages.

What is "Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity: New Book by CUP"?

"Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity" is a new book published by Cambridge University Press that compiles the lectures given by renowned physicist Sidney Coleman on the topic of relativity. It offers a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the principles of relativity and their applications in modern physics.

Who is Sidney Coleman?

Sidney Coleman (1937-2007) was an American theoretical physicist and professor at Harvard University. He made significant contributions to quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and particle physics, and was known for his engaging and insightful lectures.

What topics are covered in "Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity"?

The book covers a wide range of topics related to relativity, including special and general relativity, the equivalence principle, black holes, cosmology, and the implications of relativity for modern physics.

Is "Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is designed to be accessible to readers with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It provides a clear and intuitive introduction to the principles of relativity, making it suitable for students and non-experts alike.

Where can I purchase "Sidney Coleman's Lectures on Relativity"?

The book is available for purchase through Cambridge University Press and other major booksellers. It is also available in electronic format for easy access and portability.