Solving Differential Equations: Linear Models Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an archer shooting an arrow straight up in the air from a 50-ft high cliff. The bow has a maximum initial velocity of 128 feet per second and the air resistance causes a drag constant of 1/1024 lb/fps. The goal is to find the maximum elevation reached by the arrow. After working through the equations, the answer should be 244 ft, but the person is getting a different answer and is looking for help.
Arshad_Physic

Homework Statement

An Archer on top of a 50-ft high cliff shoots a 4-oz arrow straight up in the air. The bow is strung so that it can achieve maximum initial velocity of 128 feet per second. If the air resistance causes a drag constant of 1/1024 lb/fps, what is the maximum elevation reached by the arrow?

Homework Equations

mg-kv = m dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here is the working I have done. But my answer is coming out to be WRONG. The answer should be 244 ft.

m=4 oz = 0.25 lb
k = 1/1024

mg-kv = m dv/dt

v(0) = 128
x(0) = 50

8 - v/1024 = 0.25 dv/dt

Multiply both sides by 1024 to make things easier:

8192 - v = 256 dv/dt

Separable equation, so after solving, I get:

v = Ae^(t/256) + 8192

Use the given condition: v(0) = 128 :

128 = A + 8192,
A = -8064

v(t) = -8064e(t/256) + 8192

x(t) = integral[v(t)]

Thus, x(t) = -8064*256 e(t/256) + 8192t + c
= -2064384e(t/256) + 8192t + C

Using given condition x(0) = 50
c = 2064434

Thus, x(t) = -2064384e(t/256) + 8192t + 2064434

on the equation: v(t) = -8064e(t/256) + 8192, I use the condition v(? time) = 0

I get: t = 4.0316 seconds

I plug this in my x(t) equation and I get 307 feet.

This is WRONG! The answer should be 244 feet!

PLEASE HELP! :)

Thanks!

Arshad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Arshad! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You keep getting + and - mixed up …
Arshad_Physic said:
mg-kv = m dv/dt
Nooo …

8192 - v = 256 dv/dt

Separable equation, so after solving, I get:

v = Ae^(t/256) + 8192

Nooo … :redface:

Ahh no - AFter integrating, the signs change and I get this answer. In one of the examples I have, the same thing happens to it as well.

When we integrate "8192 - v = 256 dv/dt", then we get:

-ln(8192-v) = t/256 + c

thus, it becomes v = Ae(t/256) + 8192

PS: I should had used the x2 button lol - sorry! :)

Arshad_Physic said:
-ln(8192-v) = t/256 + c

thus, it becomes v = Ae(t/256) + 8192

No, e-t/256

and what about your mg-kv = m dv/dt ?

ohh! Now I see my mistake! But still the asnwer is not coming right! :O

okay, so:

v = Ae-t/256 + 8192

128 = A + 8192,
A = -8064

v(t) = -8064e(-t/256) + 8192

x(t) = integral[v(t)]

Thus, x(t) = -8064*-256 e(t/256) + 8192t + c
= 2064384e(-t/256) + 8192t + C

Using given condition x(0) = 50
c = -2064434

Thus, x(t) = 2064384e(-t/256) + 8192t - 2064434

on the equation: v(t) = -8064e(-t/256) + 8192, I use the condition v(? time) = 0

I get: t = -4.0316 seconds => (This is impossible, right?)

I plug this in my x(t) equation and I get -208.7 feet as my answer.

This is STILL WONG...The answer should be 244 ft...

This problem is giving me such a headache! Lol ! :)

Are you still using mg-kv instead of -mg-kv ?

Oh, I didn't understood that you were pointing that mistake of mine too! lol

But still, after using -mg-kv, I am getting t = 3.969 and my vertical distance is coming out to be 303.36 m...it should be 244 meters...

by the way, thanks a million for all the help you're giving! :)

hmm :confused:

perhaps the best thing is for you to sleep on it :zzz:, and write it all out again tomorrow …

maybe it'll be different then! :smile:

lol

I will try putting the question to some other helping forums I guess! :) Or else post it here again - maybe someone else can figure it out! :)

Thanks a ton! :)

...can someone else figure out the problem and help me?

1. What are differential equations and why are they important?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are important because they can be used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and economics.

2. What is a linear model in the context of differential equations?

A linear model is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives are linearly related to the independent variable. This means that the coefficients of the dependent variable and its derivatives are constants. Linear models are simpler to solve compared to nonlinear models, making them a useful tool in many applications.

3. How do I solve a linear differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a systematic approach for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves finding a particular solution by guessing a form for the solution and then determining the coefficients using the given initial conditions. The general solution is then obtained by adding the particular solution to the homogeneous solution, which is found by setting the right-hand side of the equation to zero.

4. What is the role of initial conditions in solving differential equations?

Initial conditions are necessary in solving differential equations because they provide information about the behavior of the system at a specific point in time. These conditions specify the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a given initial time, which allows us to determine the unknown constants in the general solution. Without initial conditions, the solution to a differential equation would be a family of curves rather than a unique solution.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Both analytical and numerical methods can be used to solve differential equations. Analytical methods involve finding a closed-form solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution at discrete points. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired accuracy of the solution.