Sig Fig Question Homework: What's Wrong?

• Thread starter ThatDude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focuses on a calculation involving sig figs for a lab assignment. There are two methods being used to solve the problem, and they are resulting in different values. The issue is determined to be in the rounding process, specifically when dealing with scientific notation. The final answer should be rounded to two digits after the decimal point, resulting in 9.6 x 10^-4.
ThatDude

Homework Statement

So basically, for a lab, I have to make a calculation abiding by the rules of sig figs, and it involves the subtraction of two numbers in scientific notation:

1.00 x10^-3 - 4.35 x10^-5

= 1.00 x10^-3 - 0.0435 x10^-3 ; therefore, we should round the final answer to two decimal places... which equals 9.57 x10^-4

But, when I do it the long way, like 0.00100 - 0.0000435, I get 0.0009565, this means we should round to 5 digits after the decimal point (from 0.00100), therefore the answer should be 9.6 x 10^-4.

So, both methods give me different values, where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you wrote it out in terms of the largest number, you were at 10^(-3), so round to 2 digits in that place--then adjust for scientific notation, and you will end up with the same result you found "the long way".

0.0000435-

Last two digits you get after subtraction (65) make no sense - you know nothing about what 35 was subtracted from. Final answer can be - at best - of the
0.000XX form.

Don't worry too much about sigfigs, while they are better than nothing when it comes with reporting accuracy, they are not used anywhere outside of the school.

What are significant figures?

Significant figures are digits in a number that represent the precision or certainty of a measurement. They are used to avoid expressing a value with more digits than can be measured or known with certainty.

Why is it important to use significant figures?

Using significant figures helps to maintain accuracy and precision in calculations and measurements. It also allows for consistency and comparability in scientific data.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

Non-zero digits are always significant. Zeros between non-zero digits are also significant. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant. Zeros at the end of a number are only significant if they are after a decimal point.

What should I do if my calculation results in a number with more significant figures than my measurements?

You should round your answer to the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. If there is a tie, you should round to the nearest even number.

What are some common errors when dealing with significant figures?

Some common errors include: not paying attention to the number of significant figures in measurements, performing calculations with too many significant figures, and rounding incorrectly.