Sig. Figs. and Averaging: How Many Decimal Places Should I Keep?

• Thread starter eurekameh
  • Start date
In summary, the lab instructor recommends that, when computing the number of cycles of an oscillating pendulum in 60 seconds, one keep either the number of average counts or the number of cycles to the nearest whole number, but report the period in 4 decimal places.
eurekameh
So in lab, I've measured the number of times it takes for a pendulum to swing in 60 seconds. I do this three trials for every change of length. Now, I want to take the average of these numbers, which is the value I get adding them all up and dividing by three. I get a decimal. How many sig. figs. should I keep? It doesn't make sense to keep even one decimal point, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
why is it not worth keeping decimal places? Are you under the impression that the number of times a pendulum swings in 60 seconds has to always be an integer number? 'cause it isn't ...it's just that you are having a hard time counting the fraction that is there...

maybe you should change the way you are counting...

...instead of counting the number of swings in 60 seconds...maybe you should count, say, 60 swings and record how long it took...THEN, take an average of those times.

The lab procedure instructed us to record the number of swings in 60 seconds using a PASCO counter. We did this for three trials. Let's say that I recorded 80, 81, and 80 swings. I want to take the average number of swings. (80+81+80)/3. How many sig. figs do I keep?

eurekameh said:
The lab procedure instructed us to record the number of swings in 60 seconds using a PASCO counter. We did this for three trials. Let's say that I recorded 80, 81, and 80 swings. I want to take the average number of swings. (80+81+80)/3. How many sig. figs do I keep?

The whole point of sig figs is to represent the uncertainty in measured values. What's the precision of a "PASCO counter?" If it only reports counts to the nearest whole number, then obviously it makes no sense to report any decimal places, since you would be over-representing the certainty of your measurement.

Personally, I would keep it as a recurring decimal or fraction until you actually work out the time period or frequency of the swing, then round it to 2 sig fig.

Are you instructed to use significant figures? In my experience they are much more often used in chemistry (and even then mostly in HS), physicists tend to use much more rigorous approach to accuracy of their results.

cepheid said:
The whole point of sig figs is to represent the uncertainty in measured values. What's the precision of a "PASCO counter?" If it only reports counts to the nearest whole number, then obviously it makes no sense to report any decimal places, since you would be over-representing the certainty of your measurement.

I think the question was not about expressing the integer result that comes from the counter, but the averaged value from the several trials - if so, decimal points are perfectly OK, as the result should be reported as average±sigma.

Or am I wrong?

Borek said:
I think the question was not about expressing the integer result that comes from the counter, but the averaged value from the several trials - if so, decimal points are perfectly OK, as the result should be reported as average±sigma.

Or am I wrong?

I think that I will keep the sig. figs for when I calculate the number of cycles N in 60 seconds, and the period T of the oscillating pendulum, but tabulate the number of average counts C = (C1+C2+C3)/3 and the number of cycles N = (C - 1)/2 to the nearest whole number, but the period T to 4 decimal places, since T = 60.00 / N? Does this make sense?

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are known with certainty, plus one digit that is estimated. They are important because they indicate the precision or accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They help ensure that the reported value is not misleading or falsely precise.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

To determine the number of significant figures in a number, count all the non-zero digits and any zeros between them. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant, but leading zeros are not. Zeros at the end of a whole number may or may not be significant, depending on whether they are used to indicate precision or just to fill in space.

Why can significant figures be frustrating?

Significant figures can be frustrating because they can be tricky to work with and understand. They also require careful attention to detail and can lead to errors if not used correctly. Additionally, different rules for significant figures may be used in different fields of science, causing confusion and frustration.

How do you perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures in the calculation. For multiplication and division, the final answer should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures. For addition and subtraction, the final answer should be rounded to the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places.

What are some common mistakes when dealing with significant figures?

Some common mistakes when dealing with significant figures include rounding too early in a calculation, using too many or too few significant figures in a calculation, and not understanding when to use trailing zeros as significant. It's also important to remember that significant figures are a representation of precision, not accuracy, and should not be used to compare the accuracy of different measurements.