1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sig figs

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    I was reading a problem my brother was assigned in his introductory physics course. The problem specifically asks to give the velocity from viewing a graph. The velocity is 2/3 m/s and it asked to give it in two significant figures. So I thought it would be .66, however the online site he was doing it on said this was incorrect and said the answer was 0.6. I do not agree with this since I was always led to believe the 0 is not a significant figure. Am I incorrect to say that the answer is .66 for two sig figs? I think they just made a mistake. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for reading

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2
    I meant to say 0 is not significant figure when to the left of other numbers.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right, the zeros "to the left " indicate the magnitude. Writing the number in normal form, 2/3 = 0.66= 6.6 x 10-1 with two significant figures.
    Imagine you have to give 2/30 with two significant figures. It is not 0.0!

ehild

5. Sep 2, 2014 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I would call it 0.67.

6. Sep 2, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, of course!

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted