Struggling with Trig Limits: How to Simplify cos2x-cosx/x?

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem involving trigonometry. They are trying to get to terms of (1-cosx)/x, but they are getting stuck. They have broken the cos2x into 2cos^2x-1, and are trying to solve for (1-cosx)/x using limits and derivatives. However, they are having difficulty with the first limit. They get stuck when trying to solve for cosx using the double angle formula for cos2x. They then try to use the cos^2x one to get what is up there, but break it into (2cos^2x-1-cosx)/x and (1+cos2x)/(x
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Sadly I am having more limit problems. This one involving trig.

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{cos2x-cosx}{x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to work to get to terms of (1-cosx)/x because that is 0, however I am getting stuck over and over again I keep trying to do things with trig identities and double angle formulas but I am getting nowhere the answer on the calculator is 0, but I can't get to that on paper. I broke the cos2x into 2cos^2 x -1 so then I had (2cos^2x-1-cosx )/x
breaking these up into

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(-1-cos2x)}{x}[/itex]-[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(1-cosx)}{x}[/itex]

the 2nd limit will be 0 but what can I do with the first.

Physics news on Phys.org
is that (cosx)^2 or cos(2x)?

cos(2x) after using the double angle formula for cos2x I used the cos^2x one to get what is up there

haha i was just going to post this same problem

anyone

This is obviously a L'Hopital problem.

no we didn't learn L'hopital's rule yet in this class

physstudent1 said:
I am trying to work to get to terms of (1-cosx)/x because that is 0
[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(-1-cos2x)}{x}[/itex]-[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(1-cosx)}{x}[/itex]

That first one doesn't exist, but that's because you made a sign error.

Yes, fix the sign error. Then, if the limit of (1-cos x)/x is zero, what is the limit of (1-cos 2x)/(2x) ?

I reevaluated and I got (1+cos2x)/x for the first part but this isn't (1-cos2x)/(2x)I had 2cos^2x so I got 2((1+cos2x)/2)/x = (1+cos2x)/(x)

hospital time!

turns out to be lim x->0 (2sin(2x)+sinx)/1

have fun

what? if your using hopital's I can't use that we didn't get there yet otherwise how did you get to that I am confused.

I'm not sure where to go from (1+cos2x)/(x) for the first limit I tried to make it to sin making cos2x=2sin^2x so i had 1+2sin^x then 1-2(1-cos^x) / x which turnd to -1(1-cos^2x)/x for the first limit can someone help

You still have a sign error. The formula you want to use is

cos(2x)-cos(x) = [1-cos(x)]-[1-cos(2x)]

Or, since you're interested in the x->0 limit, you could Taylor expand each cosine: cos(x)=1-(1/2)x2+...

Last edited:
physstudent1 said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to work to get to terms of (1-cosx)/x because that is 0, however I am getting stuck over and over again I keep trying to do things with trig identities and double angle formulas but I am getting nowhere the answer on the calculator is 0, but I can't get to that on paper. I broke the cos2x into 2cos^2 x -1 so then I had (2cos^2x-1-cosx )/x
breaking these up into

In the numerator of the first limit you made a sign error, the minus 1 should be 1. If you substitute x = y/2 there, then it becomes very similar to the second limit :)

i don't see how I made the sign error though I used cos(2x) = 2cos^2x-1 so

2cos^2x-1 - cosx is correct so far right?

then I split it into two limits

2cos^2x - 1-cos(x)

then (2(1+cos(2x))/2)/x - 1-cos(x) ?

I can't follow what you're doing. You need to write whole equations, with equal signs.

But you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be, as should be clear from Johan's post.

I understand it now thanks guys.

1. What is the significance of limit problems in science?

Limit problems are an important concept in science because they allow us to understand how a system or process behaves as certain variables approach a specific value. This helps us predict and analyze phenomena in the natural world.

2. How do you solve limit problems?

To solve limit problems, we use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hôpital's rule. We also use graphical representations and numerical approximations to evaluate the limit at a specific value.

3. What are some common types of limit problems?

Some common types of limit problems include limit of a function, limit at infinity, one-sided limits, and indeterminate forms such as 0/0 and infinity/infinity. These types of problems arise in various branches of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

4. How do limit problems relate to real-world applications?

Many real-world applications, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay, can be modeled using limit problems. By understanding the behavior of these systems as variables approach certain values, scientists can make predictions and draw conclusions about the natural world.

5. What are some common misconceptions about limit problems?

One common misconception is that limits are the same as the value of a function at a specific point. In reality, limits represent the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value, not necessarily the value of the function itself. Another misconception is that limits always exist, when in fact some limit problems may have no solution or may approach infinity.