Understanding Voltage Dividers: A Practical Approach

• Thread starter WarPhalange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volatage
In summary, the conversation is discussing the voltage divider principle and its application in circuits. The proof of this principle is explained using the equations V = IR and Iin = Iout. The concept of a branch between R1 and R2 is clarified, and it is mentioned that the voltage divider principle is a theoretical concept and not a practical technique for obtaining a desired voltage.
WarPhalange
*sigh* voltage divider...?

I've been going over basic circuitry and got to the voltage divider. I don't understand the proof here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider#General_case

The first line makes sense. From Vi to Ground there are two resistors in series, so you add them, and V = IR and I is the same all around the whole circuit.

Then the 2nd line I don't get. Why is it R2 and not R1? I thought current would go From Vi through R1 and then to Vo, not Ground to Vo.

Physics news on Phys.org

The potential difference across R2 (or Z2) is given by [itex]V_{out} - 0[/itex], where 0 is the ground voltage. For a resistor, V = IR so this means [itex]V_{out} - 0 = IR_2[/tex]

Let me see if I have this right.

Current goes from Vin through R1, which gives a voltage drop. Then since there is a branch, i.e. two things are in parallel, V across both is equal, but current probably isn't. So then you exploit the fact that at V at the branching point = Vout, and then you do this:

Defennder said:
The potential difference across R2 (or Z2) is given by [itex]V_{out} - 0[/itex], where 0 is the ground voltage. For a resistor, V = IR so this means [itex]V_{out} - 0 = IR_2[/tex]

I think I got it. Thanks a lot. :D

Actually there isn't any "branch" in between R1 and R2. In fact I would say that if there is a branch there, the voltage divider principle does not work. It works only if the circuit elements are connected in series, which they would not be if there was a branch in between.

Sorry to revive this. I'm back in "electronics" mode and still stuck on this damn problem again...

By branch I mean it branches off between R1 and R2 to Vout.

I guess my next question is how do they know Iin = Iout? Wouldn't it be Vin = I_in(R1 + R2) and Vout = Iout*R2? Why do they use the same value for I?

EDIT: Or are you assuming it's an open circuit, so that no current actually goes to the right into Vout? Then how would that work with a Load?

The diagram is a little misleading. Vout does not denote a wire connected in between R1 and R2. It's just a line which indicates that the potential between the two resistors is V2. The same goes for Vin.

Iin = Iout is the assumption they make in order to derive the voltage divider principle. As said above, if that assumption is not true, ie. if there is a wire branching off from in between 2 resistors, then the potential divider principle does not work.

WarPhalange said:
EDIT: Or are you assuming it's an open circuit, so that no current actually goes to the right into Vout? Then how would that work with a Load?
EDIT: Yes you're right here. I don't know what you mean by "work with a load". It depends on whether you designate R2 as the load or something else.

Okay okay, that much makes sense. So how do you apply a voltage divider if you're not allowed to have anything between R1 and R2? I thought that was the whole point, where you kind of siphon off some of the current.

The voltage divider principle is just a principle of circuits for easy evaluation of voltages across a circuit element, not a technique for getting a desired voltage out of something. To get a desired voltage across some complicated linear network, you first reduce it to it's Thevenin equivalent, then add resistors in the appropriate manner until you get the desired voltage.

I see... but if I had Rload at Vout >> R1 and R2, wouldn't that be approximately correct still?

So if I used a voltmeter I could still read Vout from in between R1 and R2, right?

I guess that's what confused me above all. I had thought this was something practical, not just a thought experiment type of thing.

What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides a higher voltage into a lower voltage by using resistors in series. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage level to a component.

How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by using resistors in series to create a voltage drop across each resistor. The ratio of the resistors determines the output voltage. The output voltage is calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistors in the voltage divider circuit.

Why is a voltage divider important in electronic circuits?

A voltage divider is important in electronic circuits because it allows for the creation of different voltage levels from a single power source. This can be useful in powering different components that require different voltage levels and in reducing a high voltage to a safer level for certain components.

What are common applications of a voltage divider?

A voltage divider has many applications in electronic circuits. It is commonly used to create a reference voltage for sensors, to adjust the gain of an amplifier, and to set the bias voltage for transistors. It can also be used to measure unknown voltages and to power low voltage circuits.

What factors should be considered when designing a voltage divider?

When designing a voltage divider, it is important to consider the desired output voltage, the input voltage, the tolerances of the resistors used, and the power dissipation of the resistors. It is also important to ensure that the output voltage does not exceed the maximum ratings of the components being powered by the voltage divider.