1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma-Algebra problem

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    If we define two sets as

[tex] A = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x+y<a \right\} [/tex]
    [tex] B = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x-y<a \right\} [/tex]

and then define the system of sets,

[tex] \mathbb{D} = \left\{A\vert a\in \mathbb{R}\right\}\cup\left\{B\vert a\in \mathbb{R}\right\} [/tex]

and then let [itex] \sigma(\mathbb{D}) [/itex] be the [itex] \sigma [/itex]-algebra generated by the system of set [itex] \mathbb{D} [/itex]. To show that the sets

[tex] C = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x+y\leq a \right\} [/tex]
    [tex] D = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x-y\leq a \right\} [/tex]

are elements in [itex] \sigma(\mathbb{D}) [/itex] for every [itex] a\in \mathbb{R} [/itex].
    Some questions arises. Can the sets A and B be considered as elements in [itex] \mathbb{D} [/itex] and hence in [itex] \sigma(\mathbb{D}) [/itex] too, or are they just subsets of [itex] \mathbb{D} [/itex]?
    Now I want to express C as a union of A and the set [itex] S = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x+y=a \right\} [/itex], and similar for D. But then I have to express the new set in some way to show that it is contained in [itex] \sigma(\mathbb{D})[/itex]. (Maybe there are easier approaches?). I was considering to write the new set S as

[tex] S = \bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}\left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x+y<a+\frac{1}{n} \right\}\cap \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \vert x+y\geq a \right\} [/tex]

Where the last set is the complement of A. But will this set even converge towards S, or will it just be empty?
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think A and B are not subsets. {A} and {B} are subsets. But, isn't [itex]\sigma[/itex] defined over subsets of [itex] \mathbb{D}[/itex]?

I think S is empty, but [itex]\bar S[/itex], defined with an < (instead of an <) is non-empty. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_sequence_of_intervals
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  4. Sep 7, 2007 #3
    So A and B are elements in [itex]\sigma(\mathbb{D})[/itex], right? And yes [itex]\sigma(\mathbb{D})[/itex] is defined as the smallest [itex]\sigma-[/itex]algebra containing [itex]\mathbb{D}[/itex].

Hmm... Now you have changed your answer of weather S is empty or not. I thought that maybe it would be non-empty because of the way we (in class) defined an interval of the type (a,b] as

[tex] (a,b] = \bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(a,\, b+\frac{1}{n}\right) [/tex]

as a intersection of open intervals.
    But hmm... then again maybe this wasn't even a good inspiration, since it seems different now that I type it...

But how would you suggest to write S from the 'building blocks' of [itex]\sigma(\mathbb{D})[/itex]?

The question really is just, will the infinity intersection be

[tex] \bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}\left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \,\vert\, x+y<a+\frac{1}{n}\right\} = \left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R} \,\vert\, x+y\leq a\right\} [/tex]

Because that is the set I'm intrested in. And that's why I considered that if (a,b] can be writting in that way, why can't the above equation be true?
    By this expression S becomes completly useless, since I can just set C equal to that expression, and C will then consist of an infinite intersection of A sets. But then we're back to my first question, are A and B elements in the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra even though it is generated by the union of A and B, so that C is can be considered as an element in the algebra?
  5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    Ok instead of making yet another edit, I'll make a new reply, getting confusing wit so edits now.
    I think I was confused about [itex] \mathbb{D} [/itex], since I saw it a union of 2 sets, but it's actually a union of 2 system of sets. So the [itex] \mathbb{D} [/itex] is actually,

[tex] \mathbb{D} = \left\{ A \subset \mathbb{R}^2 \,\vert\, A\in \{A_a\,\vert\, a\in\mathbb{R}\}\quad\mathrm{or}\quad A\in \{B_a\,\vert\, a\in\mathbb{R}\} \right\}[/tex]

and I think that it is clear from this, that A and B are contained in [itex]\mathbb{D}[/itex] and hence also [itex]\sigma(\mathbb{D})[/itex].
  6. Sep 7, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I agree with
    [tex] \bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}\left\{ (x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2 \,\vert\, x+y<a+1/n\right\} = \left\{ (x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2\vert x+y\le a\right\} [/tex]

I think I was right the first time, then confused myself with nested intervals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?