Sigma Algebra: Seeking Help on Closure & Countable Unions

In summary: Step 2: To show the reverse containment, we use the following diagram:$f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)$ is contained in $f^{-1}(Y-B)$ because the line segment connecting $f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)$ and $f^{-1}(Y-B)$ is contained in the smaller circle.
Arenholt
Hi everyone, didn't know where to post question on sigma algebra so here it is:-
View attachment 5671

What I've tried till now:
Let \(\displaystyle C\in G\)
1) For \(\displaystyle C=X, f^{-1}(B)=X\) which will be true for \(\displaystyle B=Y\) (by definition)
2) For closure under complementation, to show \(\displaystyle C^{c}\in G. So, C^{c}=X\setminus C=X\setminus f^{-1}(B)=f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B).\)

Can someone suggest how to proceed from here in order to show that the set G is closed under complementation? And how to prove the third property of Countable unions of subsets of X lying in G?
Thanks

Attachments

• Lec-4 sigma algebra.PNG
    Lec-4 sigma algebra.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arenholt said:
Hi everyone, didn't know where to post question on sigma algebra so here it is:-What I've tried till now:
Let \(\displaystyle C\in G\)
1) For \(\displaystyle C=X, f^{-1}(B)=X\) which will be true for \(\displaystyle B=Y\) (by definition)
2) For closure under complementation, to show \(\displaystyle C^{c}\in G. So, C^{c}=X\setminus C=X\setminus f^{-1}(B)=f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B).\)

Can someone suggest how to proceed from here in order to show that the set G is closed under complementation? And how to prove the third property of Countable unions of subsets of X lying in G?
Thanks
Note that $f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B)=f^{-1}(Y\setminus B)$. Now since $B$ is in the sigma algebra, so is $Y\setminus B$.

caffeinemachine said:
Note that $f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B)=f^{-1}(Y\setminus B)$. Now since $B$ is in the sigma algebra, so is $Y\setminus B$.
This is exactly what I am trying to wrap my head around. I thought of this but how is $f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B)$ equal to $f^{-1}(Y\setminus B)$.

Arenholt said:
This is exactly what I am trying to wrap my head around. I thought of this but how is $f^{-1}(Y)\setminus f^{-1}(B)$ equal to $f^{-1}(Y\setminus B)$.
To show that a set $A$ is equal to a set $B$, we show that $A\subseteq B$ and $B\subseteq A$.

Now we want to show $f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)=f^{-1}(Y-B)$.

Step 1: We show $f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)\subseteq f^{-1}(Y-B)$. To do this, pick $x\in f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)$ arbitrarily. All we need to do is show that $x\in f^{-1}(Y-B)$. Now saying that $x\in f^{-1}(Y)-f^{-1}(B)$ is same as saying that $x\notin f^{-1}(B)$ since $X=f^{-1}(Y)$. This in turn is equivalent to saying that $f(x)\notin B$. Thus $f(x)\in Y-B$. This means the same thing as $x\in f^{-1}(Y-B)$ and we are done with step 1.

Can you do step 2, that is, show the reverse containment?

It is useful to draw some pictures to get an intuition about these things. Make a blob denoting $Y$ and a subblob denoting B etc.

1. What is a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties. It is a fundamental concept in measure theory and is used to define measures and integrate functions over a given set.

2. What is closure in relation to a sigma algebra?

Closure in a sigma algebra refers to the property that any operation (such as taking complements, unions, or intersections) on the subsets in the sigma algebra will result in another subset that is also in the sigma algebra. In other words, the sigma algebra is closed under these operations.

3. What is the importance of closure in a sigma algebra?

Closure is important in a sigma algebra because it ensures that the collection of subsets is well-defined and consistent. Without closure, we may encounter subsets that do not satisfy the properties of a sigma algebra, which can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in our mathematical reasoning.

4. What is a countable union in a sigma algebra?

A countable union in a sigma algebra refers to the operation of combining an infinite number of subsets together to form a new subset. This is often denoted as a countable union symbol (∪) and is a common operation used in measure theory and probability.

5. How does closure and countable unions relate to each other in a sigma algebra?

Closure and countable unions are closely related in a sigma algebra because closure ensures that the result of a countable union of subsets will also be in the sigma algebra. In other words, the sigma algebra is closed under countable unions, which is an important property for defining measures and integrating functions.