Sigma Algebra Operations: Examples

In summary, sigma algebra operations include the set operations of union and intersection. A sigma algebra is a collection of sets where all countable unions and intersections of members are also members. The collection of finite unions of all sets in the form [a,b], [a,b), (a,b], (a,b) in the interval [0,1] is not a sigma algebra because it fails to satisfy the definition of a sigma algebra. Open and closedness are properties of topological spaces and are not necessarily related to sigma algebras. However, there is a concept of Borel field, which is the sigma algebra generated by open sets, and it is commonly used in measure theory. Overall, while there may be a conceptual relationship
pivoxa15
What are some examples of sigma algebra operations?

Physics news on Phys.org
A sigma algebra is a collection of sets. The set operations are union and intersection. As you know, a sigma algebra is a collection where all countable unions and intersections of members are also members.

It is not clear to me me in your question what you mean by operation.

Why is the collection of finite unions of all sets of the form [a,b],[a,b),(a,b],(a,b) in the interval [0,1] not a sigma-algebra?

Clearly, it's an algebra, since
[0,1] is a finite union of disjoint subintervals,
the complement of a finite union is
[tex]({{\bigcup}_i}I_i)^c={{\bigcap}_i}(I_i)^c={\bigcap}_i}{{\bigcup}_j}J_j[/tex] is in the collection, since the complement of an interval is an interval or a union of intervals.
[tex]{{{\bigcup}_i}I_i}\cap{{\bigcup}_j}J_j={\bigcup}_{i,j}(I_i\cap{J_j})[/tex] is in the collection, since the intersection of intervals is either empty or an interval.
But what's wrong with the countable intersection
[tex]{\bigcap}_1}^{\infty}{\bigcup}_{\mathbb{N}}}I_{\mathbb{N}}[/tex]

Last edited:
It fails to satisfy the definition of a sigma algebra. That is why it is not a sigma algebra - the union of an infinite collection of sets in the 'algbra' is not in the 'algebra'.

For example, consider the rationals intersected with [0, 1]. They can be written as a countable union
[tex]\bigcap_{q \in \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,1]} [q, q][/tex]
and therefore should be in the algebra, which you defined as "finite unions of all sets of the form ..." .

On the topic of sigma algebras, which is a family of sets, each being a subset of a universal set S. Can the property of openess and closedness discussed in sigma algebras? I guess it will depend on S? If S is the real numbers then the sigma algebra can.

Open and closed is a property of topological spaces. Topologies are in some sense completely different from sigma algebras. So, no, there is no need for open or closedness to have anything to do with sigma algebras, or anything else like it (D-algebras, etc). Of course, it is unlikely one would have been defined without the other, but that is does not stop there being no technical relation between the two, as opposed to a conceptual one. And in any 'real life' case, you will always be trying do measure theory on a topological space anyway.

Last edited:
In a practical sense, there is the concept of Borel field, which is the sigma algebra generated by open sets. Measure theory usually is taught by defining measure on Borel sets.

matt grime said:
Open and closed is a property of topological spaces. Topologies are in some sense completely different from sigma algebras. So, no, there is no need for open or closedness to have anything to do with sigma algebras, or anything else like it (D-algebras, etc). Of course, it is unlikely one would have been defined without the other, but that is does not stop there being no technical relation between the two, as opposed to a conceptual one. And in any 'real life' case, you will always be trying do measure theory on a topological space anyway.

So there is a relation but this relation is not used to do measure theory, although in the definitions they may be related however nothing deeper than that after that?

What is a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties. It is often used in probability theory and measure theory to define a set of events or sets of measure.

What are the three basic operations of sigma algebra?

The three basic operations of sigma algebra are union, intersection, and complement. These operations can be used to generate new sets from existing ones within the sigma algebra.

Can you give an example of a sigma algebra?

One example of a sigma algebra is the Borel sigma algebra on the real line. It contains all open intervals, closed intervals, half-open intervals, and countable unions and intersections of these intervals.

How are sigma algebra operations used in probability theory?

In probability theory, sigma algebra operations are used to define the set of events for which probabilities can be assigned. The sigma algebra must contain all possible outcomes of an experiment and be closed under the three basic operations.

Why is it important for a sigma algebra to be closed under complement?

A sigma algebra must be closed under complement in order to ensure that the set of events is consistent and that all possible outcomes are accounted for. This property also allows for the easy calculation of probabilities using the complement rule.