Proving A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega

• Thread starter azdang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Omega
In summary, we want to show that A, defined as the set of subsets of \Omega such that there exists a set B in E where A is the inverse image of B under the function f, is a sigma-algebra on \Omega. We first need to prove that \Omega is in A, which can be done by setting B to be the entire space E. Then, we can show that A is closed under complement and countable union by using the properties of sigma-algebras and the inverse image function.
azdang
Let f be a function mapping [tex]\Omega[/tex] to another space E with a sigma-algebra[/tex] E. Let A = {A C [tex]\Omega[/tex]: there exists B [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E with A = [tex]f^{-1}(B)[/tex]}. Show that A is a sigma-algebra on [tex]\Omega[/tex].

Okay, so I should start by showing that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A. I wasn't sure if this was as easy as saying that since A is made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex], then clearly, [tex]\Omega[/tex] must be in A since it is a subset of itself.

Next, I would have to show it is closed under complement. Here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A = f^{-1}(B)[/tex]

[tex]A^c = (f^{-1}(B))^c = f^{-1}(B^c).[/tex] Since E is a sigma-algebra, [tex]B^c[/tex] is in E, thus by the definition of A, [tex]f^{-1}(B^c)[/tex] is in A so it is closed under complement.

The last thing would be to show it is closed under countable union. I'm sort of unsure how to set this up, but here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A_i \epsilon[/tex]A. Then, [tex]A_i = f^{-1}(B_i)[/tex] where [tex]B_i \epsilon[/tex] E. So, [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i = \Bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}f^{-1}(B_i)=f^{-1}(\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}B_i).[/tex] And the union of the [tex]B_i[/tex]'s is in E since it is a sigma-algebra. Therefore, can I conclude that A is closed under countable union and thus, a sigma-algebra?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
azdang said:
Okay, so I should start by showing that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A. I wasn't sure if this was as easy as saying that since A is made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex]

This is invalid, because A is not necessarily made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex]. (If it were, then A would be the power set of [tex]\Omega[/tex].)

You simply need to display a set B such that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the inverse image of B. There is really only one possible choice for B, isn't there? :smile:

Your complement and countable union steps are very good. (In your final write-up of the complement step, you ought to introduce A and B, similar to what you did in the first step of the countable union proof, to satisfy a picky grader.)

By the way, is it even necessary to prove [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A? I mean, is that part of your definition? (Wouldn't it follow anyway from the other properties, perhaps with a "non-empty" hypothesis here or there?)

1. What is a Sigma-Algebra?

A Sigma-Algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set, which satisfies certain properties. It is commonly used in measure theory and probability to define the concept of a measurable space.

2. How do you prove that A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega?

To prove that A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega, you need to show that it satisfies three conditions: closure under complement, closure under countable unions, and that Omega is an element of A. This can be done by using set notation and logical proofs.

3. Why is it important to prove that A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega?

Proving that A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega is important because it ensures that the set of events (A) and the sample space (Omega) are well-defined and have certain properties that are necessary for the application of probability theory and measure theory. It allows for the proper calculation of probabilities and the use of various mathematical tools.

4. What are some common mistakes when trying to prove A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega?

Some common mistakes when trying to prove A is a Sigma-Algebra on Omega include not considering all three conditions, making incorrect assumptions about the elements in A, and using circular logic. It is important to carefully follow the definitions and logical steps to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can A be a Sigma-Algebra on any set other than Omega?

Yes, A can be a Sigma-Algebra on any set, as long as it satisfies the three conditions mentioned earlier. However, in probability theory, the set Omega is usually chosen as the sample space, so it is common to see Sigma-Algebras defined on Omega.