1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma Algebras

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    Let f be a function mapping [tex]\Omega[/tex] to another space E with a sigma-algebra[/tex] E. Let A = {A C [tex]\Omega[/tex]: there exists B [tex]\epsilon[/tex] E with A = [tex]f^{-1}(B)[/tex]}. Show that A is a sigma-algebra on [tex]\Omega[/tex].

Okay, so I should start by showing that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A. I wasn't sure if this was as easy as saying that since A is made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex], then clearly, [tex]\Omega[/tex] must be in A since it is a subset of itself.

Next, I would have to show it is closed under complement. Here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A = f^{-1}(B)[/tex]

[tex]A^c = (f^{-1}(B))^c = f^{-1}(B^c).[/tex] Since E is a sigma-algebra, [tex]B^c[/tex] is in E, thus by the definition of A, [tex]f^{-1}(B^c)[/tex] is in A so it is closed under complement.

The last thing would be to show it is closed under countable union. I'm sort of unsure how to set this up, but here is what I tried doing.

[tex]A_i \epsilon[/tex]A. Then, [tex]A_i = f^{-1}(B_i)[/tex] where [tex]B_i \epsilon[/tex] E. So, [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i = \Bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}f^{-1}(B_i)=f^{-1}(\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}B_i).[/tex] And the union of the [tex]B_i[/tex]'s is in E since it is a sigma-algebra. Therefore, can I conclude that A is closed under countable union and thus, a sigma-algebra?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2
    This is invalid, because A is not necessarily made up of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex]. (If it were, then A would be the power set of [tex]\Omega[/tex].)

You simply need to display a set B such that [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the inverse image of B. There is really only one possible choice for B, isn't there? :smile:

Your complement and countable union steps are very good. (In your final write-up of the complement step, you ought to introduce A and B, similar to what you did in the first step of the countable union proof, to satisfy a picky grader.)

By the way, is it even necessary to prove [tex]\Omega[/tex] is in A? I mean, is that part of your definition? (Wouldn't it follow anyway from the other properties, perhaps with a "non-empty" hypothesis here or there?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook