Expanded Form of Sigma Notation Problem

In summary, I don't know where to start with this problem, but I will use ellipses to show the terms in the sum.
phillyolly
Write the sum in expanded form.

I don't know where to start with...

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
phillyolly said:

Is expanded form just writing it out?

Previous ones, I solved them by expansion and getting a number as an answer.
This one, I think maybe just expansion?...

Can you post an example of a previous one where you were able to solve for a numerical answer? And is there any more information about this problem? Any definition of f(x), or delta-x?

The first two are the ones I solved.

The book has no more information, just this one.

Attachments

• 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 410
phillyolly said:
The first two are the ones I solved.

The book has no more information, just this one.

Hmm. Maybe others can see something we're missing, but I'd just write it out as a sum, showing the first few terms, then some ellipses, then the nth term. Do you submit the answer to an automated checking probram online, or send it to a human for checking? If it's an automated checker, you'd need to figure out how many terms before the ellipses it expects...

berkeman said:
Hmm. Maybe others can see something we're missing, but I'd just write it out as a sum, showing the first few terms, then some ellipses, then the nth term. Do you submit the answer to an automated checking probram online, or send it to a human for checking? If it's an automated checker, you'd need to figure out how many terms before the ellipses it expects...

My instructor will check the answer...I don't think I should use ellipses in the answer. Just expansion. I have no idea what to start with.

phillyolly said:

This means to write the terms in the sum: f(x1)[itex]\Delta x_1[/itex] + f(x2)[itex]\Delta x_2[/itex] + and so on. Since n is not given, the usual practice is to write a few terms, then + ... + <last term>.

phillyolly said:
My instructor will check the answer...I don't think I should use ellipses in the answer. Just expansion. I have no idea what to start with.
Since you don't know n, you have to use an ellipsis in your answer.

Mark44 said:
This means to write the terms in the sum: f(x1)[itex]\Delta x_1[/itex] + f(x2)[itex]\Delta x_2[/itex] + and so on. Since n is not given, the usual practice is to write a few terms, then + ... + <last term>.

Oh, I see now, thank you all a lot. You are right, I will use ellipsis.

What is Sigma Notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and followed by an expression that specifies the range of values to be summed.

How do you calculate a Sigma Notation problem?

To calculate a Sigma Notation problem, you first need to determine the upper and lower limits of the summation. Then, plug in each value from the lower limit to the upper limit into the expression following the sigma symbol. Finally, add all the resulting values together to get the final answer.

What is the purpose of Sigma Notation?

The purpose of Sigma Notation is to provide a concise and efficient way to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to simplify complex equations and make them easier to work with.

What are some common mistakes when working with Sigma Notation?

Some common mistakes when working with Sigma Notation include forgetting to include the upper or lower limit, using the incorrect expression to be summed, and incorrectly expanding or simplifying the expression. It is important to carefully check your work and double-check your calculations to avoid these errors.

Can Sigma Notation be used for other operations besides addition?

Yes, Sigma Notation can be used for other operations such as subtraction, multiplication, and division. In these cases, the expression following the sigma symbol will specify the operation to be performed on each term. However, addition is the most commonly used operation in Sigma Notation.