1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma Notation Problem

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    Write the sum in expanded form.

I don't know where to start with...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is expanded form just writing it out?

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    Previous ones, I solved them by expansion and getting a number as an answer.
    This one, I think maybe just expansion?...

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

berkeman

Can you post an example of a previous one where you were able to solve for a numerical answer? And is there any more information about this problem? Any definition of f(x), or delta-x?

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    The first two are the ones I solved.

The book has no more information, just this one.

Attached Files:

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6

berkeman

Hmm. Maybe others can see something we're missing, but I'd just write it out as a sum, showing the first few terms, then some ellipses, then the nth term. Do you submit the answer to an automated checking probram online, or send it to a human for checking? If it's an automated checker, you'd need to figure out how many terms before the ellipses it expects...

8. Jul 15, 2010 #7
    My instructor will check the answer...I don't think I should use ellipses in the answer. Just expansion. I have no idea what to start with.

9. Jul 15, 2010 #8

Mark44

This means to write the terms in the sum: f(x1)[itex]\Delta x_1[/itex] + f(x2)[itex]\Delta x_2[/itex] + and so on. Since n is not given, the usual practice is to write a few terms, then + ... + <last term>.

10. Jul 15, 2010 #9

Mark44

Since you don't know n, you have to use an ellipsis in your answer.

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10
    Oh, I see now, thank you all a lot. You are right, I will use ellipsis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook