1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma notation question

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://postimage.org/] Screen_Shot_2015_09_14_at_4_30_06_PM.png [/PLAIN] [Broken]
    image url

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to solve a different question using a similar method to this one but I cannot figure out how they got the sigma notation into the last equation format. I tried writing out the summation manually as well as the equation substituting n for 0,1,2,3 but they don't match up and I cannot do my next problem without figuring this one out first.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A little context would be helpful.

What are α and β? What does u[n] represent?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2015 #3
    α and β are just variables, there is no value to them in the question. u[n] is a unit step function basically making the function true at n > 0 and 0 at n < 0.

The original question is a convolution question x[n] * h[n] in linear systems but what is in the picture is all that is really involved. There is nothing else too it I could post.

5. Sep 14, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the summation, you have ##(\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^0 + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^1 + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^2 + \dots + (\frac{\alpha}{\beta})^n ##, which is a finite geometric series with n + 1 terms. There's a formula for the sum of a geometric series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted