Understanding the Point-to-Point Equation in a Book

• Thread starter giant016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about understanding an equation involving area and height. The person is having trouble seeing the connection between the different steps in the equation, but eventually realizes that one step involves plugging in a function for x to find the function for f.
giant016

Homework Statement

Sigma.jpg

I'm just having trouble seeing how the book is getting from point-to-point. I understand the area=height X Width part of the equation, but I don't see how in the seconds step (2i/5)(2/5) turns into [-(2i/5)^2+5](2/5). Smae goes for the second step in the second equation circled in red.

Physics news on Phys.org
height is given by f(x) = f(2i/5) so you plug in x=2i/5:
[tex]f\left(\frac{2i}{5}\right)=-\left(\frac{2i}{5}\right)^2+5[/tex]

same goes for the second equation

you have an expression for x as a function of i that you plug into find f as a function of i.

Ahh, now I see. I totally forgot about the f(x)=-x^2 equation. Thanks!

What is the point-to-point equation in a book?

The point-to-point equation in a book is a mathematical formula that represents the relationship between two points on a graph. It is commonly used to determine the slope, or rate of change, between two points.

How is the point-to-point equation written?

The point-to-point equation is written in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. This equation can be used to find the value of y for a given x-coordinate or to graph a line.

What is the significance of the slope in the point-to-point equation?

The slope in the point-to-point equation represents the rate of change between the two points on the graph. It can also be thought of as the steepness or incline of the line connecting the two points.

How do you find the slope using the point-to-point equation?

To find the slope using the point-to-point equation, you need to identify the x and y coordinates of the two points on the graph. Then, plug these values into the equation as (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) and solve for m.

What is the purpose of the y-intercept in the point-to-point equation?

The y-intercept in the point-to-point equation represents the value of y when x is equal to 0. In other words, it is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It can also be used to predict the value of y for a given x-coordinate on the graph.