1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign in covariant derivative

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the fermionic part of the QCD Lagrangian: $$\mathcal{L} = \bar\psi (\mathrm{i} {\not{\!\partial}} - m) \psi \; ,$$ where I used a matrix notation to supress all the colour indices (i.e., ##\psi## is understood to be a three-component vector in colour space whilst each component is a Dirac four spinor).

To achieve local gauge invariance, we introduce a covariant derivative ##D_\mu## containing a gauge field with a transformation property that ensures local gauge invariance of ##\mathcal{L}##.

My question: Does the sign in the covariant derivative really matters? Or is it more like a convention and every author choose its own? I wrote down my thoughts in section 3.

2. Relevant equations
    Covariant derivative: ##D_\mu = \partial_\mu \pm A_\mu##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\mathcal{L}## is not invariant under local gauge transformations ##U = U(x) \in \mathrm{SU}(3)## of the fields since $$\partial_\mu \psi \to \partial_\mu \psi' = \partial_\mu U \psi = U \partial_\mu \psi + (\partial_\mu U) \psi \; .$$ Now we introduce a modified derivative ##D_\mu## and demand that it transforms like the fields, i.e., $$D_\mu \psi \stackrel{!}{\to} U D_\mu \psi \; .$$This would lead to a locally gauge invariant Lagrangian.

Now the sign of the covariant derivative comes into play:
    • The choice ##D_\mu = \partial_\mu + A_\mu## implies that the gauge field has to transform as ##A_\mu \to U A_\mu U^{-1} - (\partial_\mu U)U^{-1}## to achieve local gauge invariance.
    • The choice ##D_\mu = \partial_\mu - A_\mu## implies that the gauge field has to transform as ##A_\mu \to U A_\mu U^{-1} + (\partial_\mu U)U^{-1}## to achieve local gauge invariance.

Thus, from my point of view the sign in the covariant derivative does not really matters since we simply have to demand a slighty different transformation behaviour of the gauge field. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

That's my understanding -- one simply has to maintain consistent conventions for all the fields.

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    Anything that keeps your Lagrangian invariant under a local SU(3) transformations should work. If you think about calculating the amplitude for a process the distinction between the two signs disappears also both describe the same principal bundle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted