What is the Sign of Binding Energy for a Hydrogen-Like Atom?

In summary, the binding energy for a hydrogen like atom is expressed as a positive value, indicating that the system is bound. There may be varying definitions and answers, but according to experts on PF, it is generally considered to be positive.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Is the binding energy for a hydrogen like atom equal to the total energy (negative) or the negative of the total energy (thus positive)?

2. The attempt at a solution
I found varying answers and definitions, some places said binding energy's the energy required to disassemble the system so it must be negative others said that to indicate that the system is bound it has to be negative. I decided I shouldn't get confused too much and just ask the experts on PF, Thank you :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
the energy required to disassemble the system so it must be negative
Did you mean, so it must be positive?

haruspex said:
yes, sorry- I mistyped

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
yes, sorry- I mistyped
so for example is the BE of hydrogen 13.6 eV or -13.6 eV?

haruspex said:
Since you quoted that specifically, I'll assume BE is positive. Thank you very much for your help :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Since you quoted that specifically, I'll assume BE is positive. Thank you very much for your help :D
I was just clarifying your question, but yes, from what I read, it is expressed as positive.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Thank you :D

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy refers to the energy required to hold together the nucleus of an atom. It is the difference between the mass of a nucleus and the sum of the masses of its constituent particles (protons and neutrons). This energy is what keeps the nucleus stable and prevents it from breaking apart.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass difference between the nucleus and its constituent particles, and c is the speed of light. The mass difference can be determined experimentally by measuring the masses of the nucleons (protons and neutrons) and the nucleus.

3. What does the sign of binding energy indicate?

The sign of binding energy indicates whether the nucleus is stable or unstable. A positive sign indicates that the nucleus is stable, while a negative sign indicates that the nucleus is unstable and will undergo radioactive decay to achieve stability.

4. How does binding energy affect nuclear reactions?

Binding energy plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions. In nuclear fusion, where two nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, the released binding energy is what powers the sun and other stars. In nuclear fission, where a heavy nucleus splits into smaller fragments, the released binding energy is what drives nuclear power plants.

5. Can binding energy be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, binding energy can be harnessed for practical use in the form of nuclear energy. Nuclear power plants use nuclear fission reactions to generate electricity by converting the released binding energy into heat, which is then used to produce steam to power turbines. However, the use of nuclear energy also comes with potential risks and concerns, such as nuclear waste and the potential for accidents or misuse.