Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign of the times

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Businesses just keep tightening their budgets more and more. Last year the division I work for flew everyone to Las Vegas to celebrate the annual branch kickoff.

This year, we're driving down the block to a cheesy strip mall type convention center for TWO hours to celebrate. I'll bet if I'm lucky I'll get a t-shirt too. The suspense is killing me.

And I'm told we had a record year, exceeded our revenue growth goals, etc....

I wonder what kind of celebration we'd be having if we hadn't brought in a record amount of revenue. :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2
    Sounds like you work for MCI, lol.

4. Jan 19, 2006 #3
    I'd be wondering why I wasn't invited to the REAL celebration.

5. Jan 19, 2006 #4

Evo

No, I work for the "ethical" company. :wink:

6. Jan 19, 2006 #5

Evo

Oh, I'm sure all the bigwigs will be flying to some tropical island in the corporate jets. :grumpy:

7. Jan 19, 2006 #6
    sounds ethical

8. Jan 19, 2006 #7

Evo

Well, I'm sure they will have a business meeting while they're down there to make it a legitimate business expense.

9. Jan 19, 2006 #8
    while they are down there, raid petty cash and go to Vegas.

10. Jan 19, 2006 #9
    Thats nothing Evo, you should hear the stories I could tell about MCI and their work environment around 95'.

11. Jan 19, 2006 #10
    yeah, you should hear what I could tell about someone I could talk about and you know who from that one year. boy howdy you sure should.

12. Jan 19, 2006 #11
    I dont understand insert commas, and periods please.

13. Jan 19, 2006 #12

Evo

I've heard stories. One of the guys in my office is a former National Sales Director for Worldcom. He knew Bernie Ebers personally. It's sad, he's 65, owns a multi-million dollar house and is working with me because his wife has cancer and needs better insurance than medicaid.

He's one of the three other people hired with me in July. They were all told the first week of December that they are all being terminated. I am the only one spared. I feel like s**t. These are the three nicest, honest, friendliest, give you the shirt off their back, people that I ever met. Since day one, they've brought me little gifts and home cooked food, and are just sooo nice to me. But they do that for everyone. These people are NICE. Unfortunately, they don't learn as quickly as I do and have been struggling. I do what I can to try to bring them up to speed, but they've also had rotten luck. This is high tech sales and 99% of what you sell is pure freeking luck.

They are still so nice to me telling me how glad they are that at least I made it. :cry: :cry: They are sincere. I will remain friends with these people forever.

Everyday that I go into work and see them and know that they're losing their jobs in a couple of weeks and have no prospects, I want to cry.

Not to mention that the company has realized they need to reduce headcount by 50% in the next couple of months and have rolled out a new guideline stating that year to date results are no longer considered. Anything less than 99.9% of quota attainment each month will result in termination, so, any one month you fall below 99.9%, you can be given notice. Yeah, this sucks. No stress here.

14. Jan 19, 2006 #13
    Thats funny, we often see strippers to celebrate as well.

15. Jan 19, 2006 #14
    Wow, thats sad. Maybe he should sell his house. Who needs a house that big anyways? I hope all works out well. Do you have any other job options available, I think in this situation it would be prudent to start looking for another job just incase the whole company tanks.

16. Jan 19, 2006 #15

Evo

It's one of the largest telecom companies in the US, you see our commercials everday, it's not tanking. But they need to keep sending those execs to Tahiti...

Poor guy, he just built this new house for his wife, all on one floor, because she can't go up or down stairs. He confided in me that he was out of work for so long (not much of a market for former Worldcom exec's) that he's already taken a second mortgage on the new home to cover expenses. He's keeping all of this from his wife so she won't worry. He takes care of her, cooks the meals, and he brought me some homemade chicken soup he made. :cry: It was really good.

Anyone that is willing to let poor old Evo pitch a tent on their property when she becomes homeless will be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  17. Jan 19, 2006 #16
    I am also a nice man, I will pitch a tent for you.

18. Jan 19, 2006 #17

Evo

Awww, thanks! <snif> Just send me a map to your place. I can cook and clean, chop wood, do minor plumbing repairs and carpentry.

19. Jan 19, 2006 #18
    Its so hard to find a good woman that chops wood these days!

20. Jan 19, 2006 #19
    Now that really does pitch my tent. Could you fetch beers as well?

just kidding. dont hurt me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  21. Jan 19, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, with all the feminism flying around, nobody wants to do those traditional women's jobs anymore.

Evo, I'd offer you a space to pitch a tent, but the only yard that comes with the rental I have goes rather steeply uphill, so I'm afraid you'd probably keep rolling out of bed. The deck here is basically a wooden patio, right on the ground, so you can't sleep under my deck anymore either. :frown: Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?