Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal Processing

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I am pretty new to Matlab and am trying to reduce the noise of a particular signal. I found this pdf online and found it to be helpful. However, I am having trouble figuring out what the freq=(0:79)/(2*n*dt) means. More specifically the 0:79 bit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Referring to: http://www.math.uic.edu/~jan/mcs320s07/matlec7.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(0:79) defines a string of the numbers from 0 to 79. The line defines "freq" as these numbers divided by the denominator.

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I apologize that my question wasn't clear. I meant why are they choosing 80 samples?

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's just a choice of convenience. If you plotted all 401 points in the spectrum, the peaks at bins 2 and 4 would be indistinguishable from the y axis. He's just zooming in on the region of interest.

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5
    that's exactly what i figured. thank you.

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6

vky

Hi, jus came across this thresd, noticed your matlab lecture notes seems very handy. I'm wondering if I would be able to get my hands on the set of notes your using. Wil be much apreciated if so. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?