Learning Signal & System: Books to Get Started

In summary, For those studying electronic engineering and looking to learn about signals and systems, I recommend checking out "Linear Systems and Signals" by B. P. Lathi. This book is written in a student-friendly manner and includes relevant examples and MATLAB code. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and physics.
taninsaz
Hi.
I am study in electronic engineering.
I want to learn about signal & system.
Please introduce to me books in signal & system field.
thanks alot.
bye

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming you have a basic college math/physics background, you should definitely have a look at Signals and Systems by Oppenheim, Wilksy and Nawab.

taninsaz said:
Hi.
thanks alot.
bye

Electronic Communications: Principles and Systems, Stanley & Jeffords.

CS

Signals and Systems.
Poularikas and Seely.

I use "Signals and Systems using the Web and Matlab" by Kamen and Heck. Its quite technically written (for me anyway) but seems to cover a lot of important material.

Hi taninsaz and welcome to PF,

taninsaz said:
Hi.
thanks alot.
bye

I highly recommend "Linear Systems and Signals" by B. P. Lathi . The author really talks to you as a student and does not introduce concepts without letting you know where he is going, and he does this in the most down to Earth manner. Furthermore, he has great examples that are related to the material covered in the chapter. I also like the fact that MATLAB code is also introduced. IMHO, this book should be a keeper for anyone studying signals and systems. Lathi along with Oppenheim and you can't go wrong. Of course you should have the necessary mathematical background such as calc I-III, differential equations, and linear algebra. A year of calculus based physics would also be helpful but is not required.

1. What is Signal and System?

Signal and System is a branch of electrical engineering and applied mathematics that deals with the analysis and processing of signals. It involves the study of how signals are generated, transmitted, and received, as well as how they are affected by different systems and environments.

2. Why is it important to learn Signal and System?

Signal and System is an essential subject for scientists and engineers, particularly those working in the fields of telecommunications, control systems, and digital signal processing. It provides a fundamental understanding of how signals are processed and transmitted, which is crucial for developing new technologies and improving existing ones.

3. What are some recommended books to get started with learning Signal and System?

Some popular books for beginners in Signal and System include "Signals and Systems" by Alan V. Oppenheim and Alan S. Willsky, "Signals and Systems for Dummies" by Mark Wickert, and "Signals and Systems: Analysis Using Transform Methods and MATLAB" by M.J. Roberts. These books cover the basic concepts and provide examples and exercises for practice.

4. What topics are typically covered in a Signal and System course?

A Signal and System course usually covers topics such as signal classification, time and frequency domain analysis, Fourier analysis, convolution, sampling, and system characterization. It may also include topics such as Laplace transforms, z-transforms, and digital signal processing.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of Signal and System in real-world applications?

Signal and System has various practical applications, including communication systems, control systems, image and audio processing, and biomedical signal analysis. By understanding the principles and techniques of Signal and System, you can design and develop new technologies in these areas and contribute to advancements in various industries.