Answer: No, z1(t) and z2(t) Not Same Signal

I meant z1 and z2. So in summary, z1(t) and z2(t) are not the same signal. z1(t) is the signal x(t) delayed by 4 seconds and then sped up by a factor of 3, while z2(t) is the signal x(t) sped up by a factor of 3 and then delayed by 4 seconds. This is shown mathematically as z1(t) = x(3t-4) and z2(t) = x(3t-12). Therefore, z1(t) and z2(t) do not represent the same signal.
jeir35

Homework Statement

Let z1(t) be the signal x(t) delayed by 4 sconds and then sped up by a factr of 3. Let
z2(t) be the signal x(t) sped up by a factr of 3 and then delayed by 4 sconds. Do z1(t)
and z2(t) represent the same signal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was no they are not the same

for the first part
x1(t) = x(t-4) for the delay of 4 secs

then sped up
x2(t) = x1(3t)

so y1= x(3t-4) or x(3(t-4/3)

for the second part

x1(t)=x(3t) sped up
and x2(t) = x1(t-4) delayed by 4 secs

so y2= x(3(t-4)) or x(3t-12)

Is my math correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Yes, that looks correct. You probably meant "z1" and "z2" where you wrote "y1" and "y2", but you do have the right idea.

thanks for the verification!

1. What is the difference between z1(t) and z2(t)?

Z1(t) and z2(t) are both signals, but they are not the same signal. They may have different amplitudes, frequencies, or waveforms, which makes them distinct from each other.

2. Can z1(t) and z2(t) be used interchangeably?

No, z1(t) and z2(t) are not interchangeable. They represent different signals and cannot be used in place of each other without affecting the outcome of an experiment or analysis.

3. How can I tell if z1(t) and z2(t) are the same signal or not?

You can compare the characteristics of z1(t) and z2(t) to determine if they are the same signal or not. This can include looking at their graphical representations, frequency spectra, or mathematical equations.

4. Are there any scenarios where z1(t) and z2(t) would be the same signal?

Yes, there are some cases where z1(t) and z2(t) can be considered the same signal. For example, if z1(t) is a scaled version of z2(t), or if z1(t) and z2(t) are both periodic signals with the same frequency and phase.

5. How does the difference between z1(t) and z2(t) impact my research or experiment?

The difference between z1(t) and z2(t) can have a significant impact on your research or experiment. It can affect the accuracy of your results, the validity of your conclusions, and the overall success of your study. It is important to carefully consider the characteristics of each signal and ensure that they are properly accounted for in your analysis.