Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal vs Bkg efficiency plots

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

What information can one obtain from the plots of the background vs signal efficiency? [itex]\epsilon_{bkg}(\epsilon_{sig})[/itex]?
    In particular I attach some plots I made by hand and I want to understand how to obtain what each tells us.

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your plot should have 1/(background efficiency) or 1-(background efficiency) as vertical axis.

Each point on the curve is a possible selection. As an example, you can randomly take 60% of the events, then you have 60% signal efficiency and keep 60% of the background. That is not a good selection, of course. Your actual one might keep 90% of the signal events and keep only 5% of the background. If you make the selection a bit looser, you get 91% of the signal, but 10% of the background. Make this in a continuous way (with TMVA usually) and you get a curve. With the usual choices for axes, all curves should look like the blue one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook