Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signatures + Avatars

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    Well... I can't find how to add a signature and an avatar, which makes me mad..

Can you guys please help me?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You have to become a PF contributor.

4. Nov 26, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or a homework helper / science advisor :wink:

5. Nov 26, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Didn't know about that. Gee, I could do homework helping all day only to get that tiny pic below my nick. :biggrin:

6. Nov 26, 2006 #5
    go for it! :smile:

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6
    My to do list:

Study Physics like mad so that I get into MIT and become a PF Homework Helper...

Odd motivation right???

By the way, I probably can't be a contributer since I just turned 13 a month ago, which probably makes me the youngest on the forums !

So do I get a "Youngest on PF" award?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  8. Nov 26, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yomamma was only 13 when he became a contributor. He saved up his allowance and his parents allowed him to sign up.

You can challenge him for his space!

But, with such a great attitude, you might find supporters here. :smile: :smile:

9. Nov 29, 2006 #8

berkeman

Congrats on becoming a Homework Helper, radou! Good work in the forums.

10. Nov 29, 2006 #9

radou

Homework Helper

Thanks, I just realized I became one now. :smile:

11. Nov 29, 2006 #10

Evo

It was the fish...

12. Dec 1, 2006 #11

radou

Homework Helper

Btw, how can one get a custom avatar?

13. Dec 1, 2006 #12

Evo

Go to user cp

On the top left, “Control Panel”, “Settings & Options”

Click on “edit Avatar”

Scroll down to “custom Avatar”, click the “custom avatar” button

Browse for file either on your computer or hosted on a website.

You may use any picture file, limited to - The maximum size of your custom image is 65 by 65 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

SAVE CHANGES – then send Evo & Moonbear 5lbs of dark chocolate bonbons. EACH.

14. Dec 1, 2006 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I may be mistaken Evo, but I believe us common folk (SA's and HH's) are unworthy of custom aviators, we're restricted to the preset ones :wink:

15. Dec 1, 2006 #14

Evo

Ah, then Radou, you will need to cough up $15 for contributor status.

Thanks Hootenany, I didn't know you could not do customized.

<send the chocolate anyway, it can't hurt>

16. Dec 1, 2006 #15

radou

Homework Helper

That's what I meant...nevermind, I'll live. :biggrin:

And Evo...here, that's for your effort: http://www.24stundenlauf.at/logos2005/milka%20logo_3c.jpg" [Broken]

Unwrap your monitor & enjoy. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  17. Dec 2, 2006 #16
    That's right, you can't get any pilot of you choice. :rofl: :wink:

18. Dec 14, 2006 #17

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I used to have a custom avatar, but it went away, probably due to an incident that need not be discussed, but is unlikely to be repeated because she moved to Las Vegas.

What do I have to do to get my custom avatar back?

19. Dec 14, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really wish you would get the old avatar back. I keep wanting to call you Alkatran.

20. Dec 14, 2006 #19

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I figured it out. The "PF Contributor" thingy only lasts a year.

I went to the tropical island of Curacao a few weeks ago to work on some telecom equipment, and they took a picture of me. Meet my new avatar.

21. Dec 14, 2006 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice pic, Carl! I like this one better than the old one.

22. Dec 14, 2006 #21

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, my other photo has two big defects. I'm afraid of heights so it looks like I'm swallowing a pilll, and with construction workers, you just never know what they're going to be hiding under those hard hats. Could be a mullet. Or a shaved head.

By the way, reminiscent of your avatar, I read the absolutely most fascinating book on Barbie:
    https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Barbie-Unauthorized-Biography-Real/dp/0802776949

I learned amazing things about her. (We just won't talk about the job she had in Germany in the 1940s.) For example, she's really not intended to be excessively thin. It's just that her mommy and daddy (artists and engineers) designed her to look good wearing doll clothes made from full size people fabric. The skinny is there to make the clothes look right.

Following the sentiments of "math is hard", one of the enthusiastic reviewers of the above book writes: "Some people might find this book too intellectual, or possibly over their heads. Probably many people who like to ponder the meanings of popular culture are anti-Barbie, and might be turned off by the book's positive spin on the doll. Barbie enthusiasts might be put off by the negative spin, as well as the stranger explorations. I love the book, but I have to admit it's not for everybody. Maybe that's why it's out of print. But if you are open to both sides of the Barbie controversy, and like to wax philosophical and think about things, this book is definitely for you."

Carl

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  23. Dec 15, 2006 #22

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a fascinating read. I wish I could get my hands on it in time for my holiday plane trip. I read the little blurb about the German Lili doll in the review - oh my! I thought Barbie was a pure California girl, born and bred in El Segundo.

I've always been amused by how riled up some people get over the doll, how they try to read things into her, blame her, villify her. A little controversy is a good thing, I guess, especially when you don't take sides and just sit back to watch the fun. Barbie will always have my heart for inspiring one of the greatest pranks of all time.:smile:

http://sniggle.net/barbie.php

24. Dec 15, 2006 #23

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that has to be in the top 10.

Meanwhile, in Redmond / Seattle, our football team blew what should have been an easy victory last night. And my power is out. There are blown down power lines and trees all over the roads and people's houses. I'm going to upload some pictures of the carnage on my website, and I'll link it into this post.

And here they are, downed power lines, things squished by trees, etc:
    http://www.brannenworks.com/seawind06/

Carl

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  25. Dec 16, 2006 #24

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just reading about those high storm winds on accuweather.com. Goodness!

Chinook Pass, Wash. - 113 mph
    Sunrise at Mr. Rainier, Wash. - 100 mph
    Seattle-Tacoma Airport, Wash. - 69 mph
    Whidbey Island, Wash. - 64 mph
    Mt. Hebo, Ore. - 104 mph
    Mount Hood Meadows, Ore. - 100 mph
    Rockaway, Ore. - 90 mph
    Rockhouse, Ore. - 95 mph
    Portland International Airport, Ore. - 53 mph
    Spokane, Wash. - 47 mph
    Cutbank, Mont. - 68 mph

Hope the power is back soon. The cold weather has finally made it down to Los Angeles and it's looking pretty gloomy outside today.

26. Dec 16, 2006 #25

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are those top speeds? as opposed to sustained wind speeds?

Hmmm... I'll might have to rethink my plans to relocate there. :grumpy: I thought the Northwest was far enough from the Gulf.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook