Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significance of 1/s

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1

Suppose we have a closed feedback system with loop gain = L(s) = G(s)H(s). The characteristic equation is

[tex]1 + L(s) = 0[/tex]

What is the significance of the transformation [itex]s \rightarrow 1/s[/itex] and what bearing does it have on root loci and Nyquist stability?

I can see that the points [itex]s = \pm \infty[/itex] will be mapped to [itex]s = 0[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    I don't get why you transform s to 1/s. Can you elaborate more on the question? Do you mean the invertibility of the char. eq i.e. [itex](1+L(s))^{-1}[/itex] ?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    Well, the question really is: what happens to the Root Locus and the Nyquist Stability criterion when I replace s by 1/s? Are they valid? Also, what is the physical significance of such a transformation. Intuitively, I think that such a substitution allows us to map points at infinity to the origin (and conversely)...so, it allows us to get a better "idea" of the high frequency behavior. But I am not fully convinced.
  6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    But we have already an understanding of the points at infinity, it is completely meaningful when we take [itex]s|_{j\omega}\to\infty[/itex].

Besides that, though I am not sure, I don't think that it will map the high frequency region as such because you have to also modify the laplace or fourier transform accordingly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?