Significance of negative potential energy

In summary, the potential energy formula -GMm/R^2 is a convenient way to measure the work required to move an object to a certain point, with the reference point being arbitrary and not physically significant. Negative potential energy simply indicates that it requires less work to move the object compared to a positive potential energy.
UMath1
Using the potential energy formula -GMm/R^2 I understand that the maximum potential energy is 0. But what is the significance of the potential energy as it approaches negative infinity? I am not sure how exactly to word this, but I cannot seem to grasp the what negative potential energy tells us about an object.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy is lower than the (arbitrary!) reference point: you have to put energy into move the objects apart. The closer the objects are, the more energy you need to separate them.

UMath1 said:
Using the potential energy formula -GMm/R^2 I understand that the maximum potential energy is 0. But what is the significance of the potential energy as it approaches negative infinity? I am not sure how exactly to word this, but I cannot seem to grasp the what negative potential energy tells us about an object.

You can put the zero point anywhere you want. For example, I could say that the potential energy of a mass sitting on the floor of my living room is zero (##mgh##, and ##h## is zero because it's sitting on the floor). I pick it up and put it on a table one meter high, and it's potential energy becomes ##mg\times{1m}## (##mgh##, and ##h## is one meter). But what's the potential energy of the same object if it's resting on the basement floor, two meters below the living room floor? The potential energy is less than when the object is in living room, which means less than zero, so it has to be negative (in fact, it's ##mg\times{-2m}## because ##h## is -2).

If that negative potential energy bothers me, I can make it go away by taking advantage of the fact that my living room floor is 100 meters above sea level... Now the potential energy of the object in the basement ##mg\times{98m}##, on the living room floor is ##mg\times{100m}##, and on the table is ##mg\times{101m}##. Of course the differences in the energy are still the same, and it only those differences that are physically significant.

When you're dealing with gravity, or any other force that falls to zero at infinity, it turns out to be very convenient to set the zero point to be the potential energy at infinity. But it's just a convention, and you could put it somewhere else if you wanted.

UMath1 said:
Using the potential energy formula -GMm/R^2

Correction: gravitational potential energy (with the reference point at infinity) is -GMm/r (not r^2).

So basically the negative potential energy tells the amount of work required to move the object to its maximum potential energy?

UMath1 said:
So basically the negative potential energy tells the amount of work required to move the object to its maximum potential energy?
The crucial point is that the value of the potential energy, whether positive or negative, has no "physical significance". The only thing that has physical significance is the difference in values of the potential energy at different points. If the potential energy at one point is -30 and at another point is -20, that is exactly the same, physically, as if the potential energy at the first point were +1000 and at the second point +1010.

Last edited by a moderator:
UMath1 said:
No, the maximum has no relevance. The work is to move the object to the reference point for potential. As the reference point is arbitrary, it can be anywhere. Including the maximum, but not necessarily there.

What is negative potential energy and why is it significant?

Negative potential energy is a measure of the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system. It is significant because it can indicate the stability or instability of a system, and can also be converted into other forms of energy.

How is negative potential energy different from positive potential energy?

Negative potential energy is associated with attractive forces, while positive potential energy is associated with repulsive forces. In other words, negative potential energy indicates that an object is being pulled towards a lower energy state, while positive potential energy indicates that an object is being pushed towards a higher energy state.

What are some examples of negative potential energy in everyday life?

One example of negative potential energy is a book on a shelf. The book has a lower gravitational potential energy when it is resting on the shelf compared to when it is on the floor. Another example is an object held at a certain height above the ground. It has a lower gravitational potential energy compared to when it is dropped and falls to the ground.

How is negative potential energy related to work?

Negative potential energy is related to work through the work-energy theorem, which states that the change in an object's kinetic energy is equal to the net work done on the object. This means that if the object has negative potential energy, it has the potential to do work and can be converted into kinetic energy.

Can negative potential energy ever be zero?

Yes, negative potential energy can be zero in certain situations. For example, if an object is at the same height as the reference point, it has zero gravitational potential energy. Additionally, if an object is at the same distance from a charged particle with the same charge, it has zero electrical potential energy. In both cases, the object is in a stable equilibrium state.