Exploring the Relationship Between Viscosity and Shear Stress in Perfect Fluids

In summary, perfect fluids have zero viscosity and cannot sustain shear stress. This means that adjacent layers can move at different velocities without internal resistive stresses. There may be some confusion between the terms "perfect fluid" and "ideal fluid," as ideal fluids are a subset of perfect fluids.
better361
So the textbook I am reading says that a perfect fluid cannot sustain shear stress, or that [tex] p_{yx}=2\mu \dot \epsilon_{yx} =0[/tex], where [itex] \mu [/itex] is the viscosity, and [itex] \dot \epsilon_{yx} [/itex] is the rate of angular deformation. Then it says when [itex] \dot \epsilon_{yx} =0[/itex], this means that "two adjacent horizontal layers of a perfect fluid can move at different velocities without one layer affecting the other layer through internal resistive stresses." This seems to me, however, like what would happen if the viscosity were zero.

Can someone clear up my misconception?

Physics news on Phys.org
Viscosity is zero in a perfect fluid. The situation described is not ##\dot\epsilon_{xy}=0## but ##\neq 0##.

Edit: Why is \eps not a standard TeX command yet? :headbang:

Likes Chestermiller
I think ideal fluids are a subset of perfect fluids, at least according to my book.

Attachments

• perfect fluid.PNG
    perfect fluid.PNG
    63.1 KB · Views: 406
  • ideal fluid.PNG
    ideal fluid.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 403

1. What is a perfect fluid?

A perfect fluid is a theoretical concept in fluid dynamics that describes a fluid with no viscosity or internal friction. It is also known as an ideal fluid or an inviscid fluid. This means that there is no resistance to the flow of the fluid, and it can flow without dissipating energy.

2. Why is the study of perfect fluids significant?

The study of perfect fluids is significant because they can serve as important models for real-world fluids. They allow scientists to simplify complex fluid dynamics problems and make predictions about fluid behavior. Perfect fluids are also used in various fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and meteorology.

3. How are perfect fluids different from real fluids?

Perfect fluids are purely theoretical and do not exist in the real world. In contrast, real fluids have viscosity, which causes internal friction and resistance to flow. Real fluids also experience turbulence and other complex behaviors that cannot be accurately described by perfect fluid models.

4. What are some applications of perfect fluids?

Perfect fluids have many applications in different fields. For example, they are used to study the behavior of gases in stars and galaxies, and to model the flow of air around objects in aerodynamics. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as liquid cooling systems for electronics and hydrodynamic bearings for machinery.

5. Can perfect fluids exist in nature?

No, perfect fluids do not exist in nature. All real fluids have some level of viscosity and cannot be considered perfect. However, scientists can use perfect fluid models to make accurate predictions about fluid behavior in certain situations, such as idealized experiments or simulations.