1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significance of the Saturation Photon-flux Density

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the general two-level atomic system of Fig. 14.2-3, τ2
    Significance of the Saturation Photon-flux Density.
    In the general two-level atomic system of Fig. 14.2-3, τ2 represents the lifetime of level 2 in the absence of stimulated emission. In the presence of stimulated emission, the rate of decay from level 2 increases and the effective lifetime decreases. Find the photon-flux density Φ at which the lifetime decreases to half its value. How is that photon-flux density related to the saturation photon-flux density Φs?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A simple rate equation for the upper level population N2 is

dN2/dt = -(N2-N2(T))/τ + (σ I/ε) / (g1N1-g2 N2),

where N1=lower level population N2(T) =thermal equilibrium population when light intensity I=0, ε=photon energy,σ=transition cross section, g1,2 =degeneracy factors. τ =level lifetime. Neglect N2(T). The answer to the first question is obtained by solving

1/τ = (σ I /ε) g2 for I. Thus I= ε/(τ σ g2) Call this I'.

To find Isat , let dN2/dt=0 N1=N-N2. Solve for N2, and write the denominator of the resulting expression in the form
    1+I/Isat. Then Isat is found as

Isat= ε/[τ σ (g1+g2)] = g2 I' /(g1+g2)]

(For nondegenerate levels g1=g2=1)

If pumping is present, as for an amplifying medium, add a constant term R to the right hand side of the above rate equation.

Other questions, involving gain, can be solved using the following expression for the gain per unit length:

g = 2(g2 N2 -g1N1)σ

In steady state, dN2/dt=0, solve the rate equation for N2 and N1=N-N2, where N is the total concentration of active atoms, and substitute in the expression for g.

can someone help me with finding N2 and g?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?