1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significance of Ws on a transcript

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    I know this has been asked before, but I am a little more curious about my specific case. I am a freshman at the University of Tennessee, and I have a W on my transcript for French from the fall semester. This semester, I took a one hour class called 'matrix computations' which is a very lite version of Linear Algebra. The grade was based on two exams, and I has other classes (Physics, Diff. Eq., Intro. to abstract math, Comp. Sci., and philosophy) that kept me busy, so I didn't go to most of the classes. I learned the concepts, and on the exams was able to write down the exact steps to get an answer, but I kept making arithmetic mistakes and have a C in the class, which is now over. I will be taking Linear Algebra (the full course) next semester. I was wondering if it would be worth it to take another W on my transcript, or just stick with the C. It's only a one hour course, but I want to know how grad schools like M.I.T. or CalTech will see this; in all my other classes I have As, and I'm working on two separate research projects with Oak Ridge National Lab. What should I do, will either option significantly hurt my chances at a top tier grad school, and is there any way to repair the damage? Thanks for the advice.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted