Sig Figs: Solve Mixed Equations and Get the Correct Answer

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about significant figures in a chemistry problem. The original poster was seeking help with understanding the rules for using significant figures in mixed equations. The conversation included a calculation and various opinions on how to round the answer to the correct number of significant figures. In the end, it was determined that the answer should be rounded to two significant figures, with the trailing decimal point included to indicate the precision of the result.
Baby Einstein
Please, if someone helps, I will forever be in your debt!

Just Gen Chem I...but its about Sig Figs...know one seems to know the rules about which law to use when you have mixed equations

0.0001235 X 0.0012 + ( 5.48 - 0.004) X 9.1 + (8.2 x10 raised to the neg 6)

Give the correct answer with the correct number of sinigacant figures.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just use a basic calculator. Once you've done that, your answer should only have only 7 digits. If it has more, round your smallest in value number until you reach 7 digits.

Paden Roder

How do you get 7 digits?? Assuming uncertainty in the last digit of all given numbers, the most significant contribution comes from the term ( 5.48 - 0.004) X 9.1 - the uncertainty is on the order of 0.01*9.1 + 0.1*5.48 = roughly 0.5
So I would truncate the answer to the first digit past the decimal point... the terms with 10-6 and 0.000.. x 0.00... are 100% negligible.

Round your answer off to the same number of significant digits as the element in your calculation that contains the fewest significant digits.

:bugeye: Now I'm really confused

Your final numerical result cannot be more accurate than the least accurate of the items that go into your calculation.

:grumpy: Oh well, Iv'e got some type of block...to hell with this question.

[tex] 0.001235X0.0012=1.5X10^{-7}[/tex] : 2 significant figures to follow the least one which is 0.0012 which has 2 significant figures.(Rule #1)

[tex](5.48-0.004)=5.476 = 5.48[/tex] : 2 decimal places because the rest of the decimal places has no meaning since 5.48 has 2 decimal places only.(Rule #2)

5.48X9.1=50 ( 2 significant figures : Rule #1)

So,
[tex]1.5X10^{-7} + 50 + 8.2X10^{-6} = 50[/tex] ( 2 significant figures : Rule #2)

Thats what I thought 49.6540082 reported to two digits = 50, but my prof. says I'm wrong!

Baby Einstein said:
Thats what I thought 49.6540082 reported to two digits = 50, but my prof. says I'm wrong!
I hate teachers like that. I've had to correct my teacher on how an electrical current works... he was completely backwards on parrallel/linear currents.

Baby Einstein said:

Technically, your prof is correct. You need to display the trailing decimal point to indicate that you really do have two significant figures. Without it you are indicating the result is an integer which is "infinitely precise." Mathematically they are the same but the distinction is there when calculations involve measurements.

Thanks a lot guys. :approve:

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that carry meaning and contribute to the precision of a measurement. They are important because they help us accurately represent the level of precision in our calculations and measurements.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

The rules for determining significant figures can vary, but generally, non-zero digits are always significant, zeros between non-zero digits are significant, and trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant. Leading zeros are not significant. For example, the number 0.00320 has three significant figures.

How do I perform calculations with significant figures?

When adding or subtracting numbers, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places. When multiplying or dividing numbers, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures.

What is the proper way to round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

To round a number to the correct number of significant figures, start by identifying the last significant digit. If the digit after the last significant digit is 5 or greater, round up. If it is less than 5, round down. If the digit after the last significant digit is 5 and there are no digits after it, round to the nearest even number.

Why is it important to use the correct number of significant figures in calculations?

Using the correct number of significant figures ensures that the final answer is as precise as the least precise measurement used in the calculation. This is important because it helps avoid errors and inaccurate results in scientific calculations and measurements.