1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant figure

1. Jul 7, 2007 #1
    1. I read on my physics book that "zeros located at the end of a number are not significant if they are not followed by a decimal point." it also gave an example: 3000 K, in this case, there is only 1 significant figure. However, the number 93,000,000 m, on my book it says only the first five digits are significant. But i think there are only 2 significant figures according to the previous definition? I was confused.
    2. What does 'size' mean in Physics? means the surface area?
    3. The time it takes to play a CD in your stereo. My teacher said the answer was 3.6 kilosecond. but i didn't get it.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2007 #2
    1. theres only 2 sig figs
    2. lots of things
    3. 60s X 60min = 1 hour = 3600 seconds

how old are you?

4. Jul 7, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's certainly not consistent usage. If five significant figures are meant, it should be written as: 9.3000*10^7 or 93.000*10^6, etc.
    "Size" is not a specific physics term. It could mean all sorts of things, depending on context.
    The prefix "kilo" means 1000. Figure out how many minutes that is.

5. Jul 7, 2007 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

3.6 kiloseconds? That's a short CD by my standards! :rolleyes:

6. Jul 9, 2007 #5
    I get it now, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook