Significant Figures and scientific notation

In summary, significant figures are used to indicate the accuracy of a number. In addition and subtraction, the number of significant figures is determined by the least accurate number involved. Rounding may also occur in order to maintain the same level of accuracy.
happykid
Significant Figures and scientific notation!

how come 8.231x10^3 - 5.25x10^2 = 7.706*10^2 ?
and how come 350 - 10.5 = 3.40x10^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the first one should be written as 7.71x10^2 since there are 3 sig figs in 5.25x10^2, and the second one is right it has 3 sig figs. It is written as 3.40x10^2 because it has been rounded up from 3.39. You are allowed to round up your final answer to one place and only your final answer.

But what the hell do I know I've lost so many marks last year from sig figs...bummer.

If you were multiplying or dividing, Mozart would be right. Addition and subtraction with significant figures are tricky things, though.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that significant digits tell you about how accurately you think you have determined a number. For instance, suppose you have a scale accurate to the nearest tenth of a gram. You're working with something which happens to mass exactly 60.03 grams. Your scale might very well show it to you as 60.0 grams or 59.9 grams or 60.1 grams. In this case, your least significant digit is the tenths - that's the one about which you're most uncertain.

Suppose you then added .0002 g of something to the scale. Would the scale change its reading? Probably not. Does the fact that you've suddenly put something with only one significant digit on the scale change your three s.d. figure of 60.0 to only one s.d.? Also, no. The thing is that the three zeros in .0002 are not significant - they're just place holders.

Consider your first problem: 8.231 x 10^3 = 8231, four s.d., accurate to the one's place. 5.25 x 10^2 = 525, accurate to the one's place.. Now: you know the first number to the one's place, meaning you have no idea what's in the tenth's place or lower on that one. You also know the second one to the one's place. When you subtract them, you're subtracting as (and forgive the formatting):

8231.xxxxx
0525.xxxxx

where the x's indicate digits you have no information on. Our answer, then, will be accurate to the one's place, because we know what those digits "are" in both numbers. Therefore, 7706 accurate to the one's place, or 7.706 x 10^3.

In the second case, 350 is accurate only to the tens place. 10.5 is accurate to the tenths place. You know the second number far more accurately than the first. So, using the same convention:

35x.xxx
010.5xx

I can subtract the 0 from the three because both are significant. I can subtract the 1 from the 5 for the same reason. But I can't subtract the one's places or the tenth's places because I only know one of the digits in each place. What do I get when I subtract five from 'something'? It could be anything, so it's not significant. As for the hundredth's place and on down, I don't know either digit, so I certainly can't subtract them.

Therefore, 350 - 10.5 = 340, accurate to the tens place.

Think of it like this - your answer can only be as accurate as the least accurate number you use. In addition and subtraction, it's the place of the digits that matters. Subtracting a number accurate to the tenth's place from one accurate to the one's place gives an answer accurate only to the one's place, no matter how many significant digits are involved.

Does that make sense?

Nice explanation Diane. I never really thought much about significant figures through addition/subtraction, but that makes it quite clear.

What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific notation?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They represent the precision and accuracy of a measurement. In scientific notation, significant figures are used to indicate the level of precision in a number, making it easier to work with very large or very small numbers.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

The rules for determining significant figures are as follows:

• Non-zero digits are always significant.
  • Any zeros between two significant figures are significant.
  • Leading zeros (zeros before the first non-zero digit) are not significant.
  • Trailing zeros (zeros after the last non-zero digit) are significant if there is a decimal point in the number.
  • Trailing zeros without a decimal point are not significant.

How do you perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. For addition and subtraction, the result should be rounded to the least number of decimal places. For multiplication and division, the result should be rounded to the least number of significant figures.

What is scientific notation and how is it used?

Scientific notation is a way of writing numbers that are very large or very small in a more compact and convenient form. It is expressed as a number between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10. For example, 250,000 can be written as 2.5 x 10^5. It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical calculations to make working with large or small numbers easier.

How do you convert a number to scientific notation?

To convert a number to scientific notation, follow these steps:

• Count the number of digits after the decimal point, if there is one.
  • Move the decimal point to the left or right until there is only one non-zero digit to the left of the decimal point.
  • The number of places you moved the decimal point will be the exponent of 10.
  • Write the number as a decimal between 1 and 10 multiplied by 10 raised to the exponent you calculated in the previous step.